Collaborative Programs

Cross-registration in Northeast Ohio

If approved by the Undergraduate Advising Support Office, full-time undergraduates in good academic standing may cross-register at one of the participating institutions for one course per semester. Approval is normally limited to courses that are not offered at Case Western Reserve University. Cross registration at other local colleges and universities while enrolled full time at Case Western Reserve will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

The participating institutions are:

Cross-registration Guidelines and Eligibility for CWRU students

  1. Students must be enrolled full time (12 or more credits) at CWRU during the fall or spring semester in which these studies will be taken. Interim and summer sessions are not included in the program.
  2. Credit earned through cross-registration is counted toward the 15 credit-hour limit that can be earned as a transient student at other colleges or universities.
  3. Students must be in Good Standing at Case Western Reserve University.
  4. Students may not enroll for more than one course at a time through the Cross-registration Program.
  5. When the cross-registration enrollment establishes an overload (more than 19 credit-hours) the student must be eligible for the overload.
  6. Permission will normally be restricted to courses not offered at CWRU. Students, however, may receive permission to take a course elsewhere (when the course is offered at CWRU) if schedule conflicts make it impossible to take the course at CWRU.
  7. The transfer of courses that will apply toward satisfaction of major requirements must also be approved by the student's major adviser.
  8. Transfer of credit will be allowed only for courses completed for a letter grade and in which a grade of C or higher is earned. Grades will not be recorded on your transcript or included in your average of work completed at CWRU.
  9. Courses taken through cross-registration will not be counted toward hours in residence or toward the senior residency requirement at CWRU.
  10. Admission at the host institution is granted to the cross-registrant on a "space available" basis, and not all courses are open to cross registrants.
  11. Cross-registrants are responsible for any special or laboratory fees associated with courses taken at other institutions.

Procedures for Cross-registration

  1. Complete the Cross-registration Form.
  2. Obtain the necessary signatures from your advisor.
  3. After your cross-registration form has been reviewed and signed by the dean, you will be notified by email and will need to take the form to the Registrar's Office at the host institution.  Cross-registration forms will be signed in August for fall classes and in January for spring classes.

Cross-registration Timelines and Exempted Courses

Cross-registration for most schools begins two days before the semester starts. For specific dates and times, please contact the individual schools unless the information is provided below. If you need to drop or withdraw from a class, be sure to verify the deadlines with the host institution, as the deadlines may be different from your home school.

A list of deadlines and exempted or restricted courses are listed below: 


Exempted or Restricted Courses

Cleveland State

Any 300- or 400-level classes need written permission to take.

Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C)

Special admission program courses (e.g. nursing).

John Carroll University

Courses that are "by-permit." Students must meet all prerequisites in the Undergraduate Bulletin.

CWRU Art Studio Cross-Registration Policy for CIA

CWRU students have the opportunity to register for courses as CIA, but must meet the following criteria. Cross-registration at CIA is restricted to declared CWRU Art Studio minors who have taken one of the following courses: ARTS 101: Color and Form; ARTS 106: Intro to Drawing; ARTS 150: Intro to New Media. They must have also completed 2 courses in the same media concentration—drawing/painting, ceramics, digital art, design, etc.—including a 200-level Art Studio course. The student must be recommended for cross-registration at CIA by a CWRU Art Studio faculty member. Students can only register for courses at CIA in the same media in which they have taken a 2-course media concentration at CWRU, or a closely related media.  Finally, only one CIA course can be used to satisfy requirements for the Art Studio Minor.

To cross-register for studio courses at the Cleveland Institute of Art, a student must have permission from Case Western Reserve University's Director of Art Studios, Steven Ciampaglia, 2215 Adelbert Road, 216.368.2714. 

Music Lessons Through CIM

Private music lessons can be arranged through the department of music in collaboration with the Cleveland Institute of Music. Students interested in pursuing this opportunity must obtain a permit at the music department in Haydn Hall to enroll for credit in Applied Music. Charges for private lessons will be covered by the full tuition rate for music and music education majors only. All other students will pay an additional fee.

Joint Program in Music

All programs in music are conducted jointly by Case Western Reserve University and the Cleveland Institute of Music, and provide the intimacy and specialization of a professional conservatory, together with the resources of a comprehensive university. Students pursuing a major in music or music education take music theory and lessons at the Cleveland Institute of Music, and take music history and other liberal arts and music education courses at Case Western Reserve University. Students pursuing the BA with a major in music, or the BS in Music Education apply to and enroll in Case Western Reserve University, while students seeking the BM degree apply to and enroll in the Cleveland Institute of Music.

Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)

Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) programs are available to Case Western Reserve University students through cooperative arrangements with Kent State University for Air Force ROTC and with John Carroll University for Army ROTC. Each of these universities offers military studies, leadership and training courses. Participating students may seek transfer credit at Case Western Reserve for these courses, and may be exempted from the undergraduate physical education requirement. Students who are not recipients of ROTC scholarships may enroll in the first and second year ROTC courses without incurring any military obligation. University students enrolling in ROTC programs are eligible to compete for ROTC scholarships awarded by the Air Force or the Army.

Air Force ROTC

The Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) program provided by Kent State University prepares students for service as officers in the United States Air Force or Space Force. Through courses in history, management, and leadership, and through practical training, students acquire leadership and management skills, and learn about Air Force career opportunities, the role of the military in American society, the history of air power, and national defense policy. 

An agreement between Case Western Reserve University and Kent State University allows full-time Case Western Reserve students to complete Aerospace Studies courses. The courses are held at Kent State University, which is approximately 35 miles from Case Western Reserve, and are usually scheduled on one or two afternoons during the week. Air Force ROTC scholarships are available on a competitive basis.

Information about courses, registration, and scholarships may be obtained from the Air Force ROTC DET 630, 800 Summit Street, Suite 198, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio 44242; telephone: 330-672-2182 or by visiting the KSU Air Force ROTC  Detachment 630 Crosstown Cadet Registration page here. Case Western Reserve students planning to register for AFROTC courses at Kent State University should consult with the CWRU Undergraduate Advising Support Office for information regarding registration procedures.


The Army ROTC program is designed to prepare students for service as a commissioned Army officer in either the active duty U.S. Army or the reserve components of the Army Reserve or National Guard. Classes and practical training focus on military skills, officer professionalism, leadership training, and the development of military-related officer and management techniques and procedures.

Army ROTC is offered as part of a collaboration with John Carroll University with some of the first and second year courses ROTC classes being offered on the Case Western Reserve University campus. For those courses offered at Case Western Reserve (MLSC 101, MLSC 102, MLSC 199, MLSC 201, MLSC 202, and MLSC 299), students register in the ordinary way.  For other Army ROTC classes, students may enroll through cross-registration in the Department of Military Science at John Carroll University, which is approximately five miles from Case Western Reserve.

Army ROTC scholarships are available on a competitive basis. Information about courses, registration, and scholarships may be obtained from the Department of Military Science (ARMY-ROTC), John Carroll University, University Heights, OH 44118-4581; telephone: 216.397.4421. Case Western Reserve students planning to register for Army ROTC courses at John Carroll University should consult with the Undergraduate Advising Support Office for information regarding registration procedures.

Fisk University Exchange Program

An exchange program between Fisk University and Case Western Reserve University enables up to four Case Western Reserve students to spend a semester as visiting students at Fisk each year. Up to four Fisk students may spend a semester at Case Western Reserve each year. Fisk University was founded in 1866 as the first integrated, coeducational school in the United States, and, at its founding, focused on providing a quality liberal arts education to the children of former slaves. Fisk University has a distinguished history as a liberal arts institution. Fisk University was the first historically black college to have chapters of the Phi Beta Kappa and Mortar Board national honorary societies.

Case Western Reserve students who participate in the Case Western Reserve-Fisk Exchange pay tuition to Case Western Reserve University, pay the Fisk room and board fees, and maintain their student status during the period of the exchange. Information about the exchange program is available from the Fisk exchange advisor in the Undergraduate Advising Support Office.

The Dual Degree Program in Engineering

Students of superior scholarship who have attended one of a group of select liberal arts colleges with which Case Western Reserve University has a dual degree agreement are eligible to participate in the Dual Degree program at Case Western Reserve University. This program allows outstanding students to begin their studies at a liberal arts college for three years and pursue an engineering degree at Case Western Reserve University for two years. Once requirements at both institutions are completed, students will receive a degree from the liberal arts college and a degree from Case Western Reserve University in a designated engineering discipline. For additional information, contact Debbie Fatica, 304 Nord Hall, 216.368.4449.