|us-irelandalliance.org/mitchellscholarship||Seniors||Campus Deadline: Sept. 1, 2023
National Deadline: Sept. 28, 2023
The Mitchell Scholarship Program, named to honor former U.S. Senator George Mitchell's pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, is designed to introduce and connect generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to community and public service.
Up to 12 Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one academic year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland. Applicants are judged on three criteria: scholarship, leadership, and a sustained commitment to community and public service.
A candidate for the Mitchell Scholarship Program:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older, but not yet 30, on September 27 of the year of the application (those who turn 30 on September 28th are not eligible).
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university before beginning study as a Mitchell Scholar. Degrees from international accredited universities are acceptable, if all other conditions are met.
- While married applicants or applicants with partners are accepted, no allowance is made for the expenses of an applicant’s spouse, partner, or dependents. It is important to note that the relevant government agency in Ireland or Northern Ireland may require spouses or partners who are non-EU citizens to enroll full-time and prove financial resources for the year or to obtain a work permit before seeking paid employment in Ireland.
1. Schedule an appointment to meet with Dean LaTasha Johnson, preferably during your junior year but no later than May 1 prior to your senior year, to discuss your goals and plan to compete in this scholarship process.
2. Begin the online application and register Dean LaTasha Johnson/Case Western Reserve University as endorser/endorsing University.
3. Send the following to Dean LaTasha Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org by the campus deadline of Sept. 1, 2023:
- Personal statement (1,000 words maximum)
- University choices and field of study options – It is recommended that you choose at least three programs at three different universities, and you may list as many as five.
- Four letters of recommendation
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident status
- An unofficial transcript
The aforementioned items are actual Mitchell application components and will allow the Campus Selection Committee to evaluate your candidacy for endorsement by the institution.
Preference will be for all documents to be sent in one singular PDF. Reference letters should be submitted separately by the letter writer either electronically to email@example.com or via U.S./campus mail to the Office of Undergraduate Advising, Case Western Reserve University, 447 Sears Building, 10900 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, OH 44106-7028. Letters of recommendation will also need to be submitted to the online application as well.
4. Campus interviews are required for all candidates. Times will be identified for interviews based on your class schedule and committee availability. Interviews will take place in late September. (See schedule below.)
5. Complete final application submission by Sept. 24, 2023. Campus endorsement will be completed following the campus interviews and by the national deadline.
|Campus deadline (reference letters included)||Sept. 1, 2023|
|Interview scheduling and confirmation||Sept. 2-8, 2023|
|Campus interviews||Sept. 13-14, 2023|
|Campus nominations completed||Sept. 15-24, 2023|
|National deadline||Sept. 28, 2023|
Value of the Award
The Mitchell Scholarship Program supports one academic year of post-graduate study in any discipline offered by an institution of higher learning in Ireland or Northern Ireland. The Mitchell Scholarship Program provides tuition, housing, a cash stipend for living expenses, and a travel stipend.
Trina Vargo, Founder & President, firstname.lastname@example.org
Carolina Chavez, Director, George Mitchell Scholarship Program, email@example.com
US-Ireland Alliance, 2800 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 305 West, Arlington, VA 22201