These merit-based, nonrenewable, scholarships will be given to undergraduate students admitted to Ohio state or private colleges and universities who can demonstrate their knowledge and commitment to careers in environmental sciences or environmental engineering. Students must be in the final year of the program by the autumn term. Awardees will be selected by an Academy appointed panel using a blind review process.
Students must be in the final year of their program.
Scholarship awardees will be selected on:
- Academic record with an overall GPA of at least 3.0
- education, employment, and/or internships, honors/awards, professional memberships, publications, presentations given and professional meetings attended, and community service
- reasons for choosing a career in environmental science or environmental engineering and how the scholarship will help
- original research, scholarship, employment, and/or internships, or other unique contributions to environmental science or engineering
- extracurricular activities and participation in organizations that demonstrate leadership, interpersonal skills and social responsibilities
- letters of recommendation from education or environmental professionals
Please compile all of the necessary documentation listed below into one pdf file:
1. A current (full) transcript and circle the GPA. Transcript must include all courses taken to-date, and will be verified with universities and colleges to ensure its accuracy.
2. A maximum two-page vita, biosketch, or resume that includes the following elements, in this order: complete contact information, education, employment and/or internships (basic information only), honors/awards, professional memberships, publications (full citation), presentations given and professional meetings attended, and community service.
3. Each of the following essays may not exceed one two-sided page, double-spaced, 12 point font, 1-inch margins.
- Essay 1: Describe your reasons for choosing a career in environmental science or environmental engineering and how this scholarship will help you.
- Essay 2: Detail any original research, scholarship, employment and/or internships, or other unique contributions to environmental science or environmental engineering.
- Essay 3: Describe your extracurricular activities and participation in organizations that demonstrate your leadership and interpersonal skills and social responsibility.
4. Two letters of recommendation from education or environmental professionals, addressed to Scholarship Review Committee. One must be from a faculty member at your institution. If necessary, your letters of recommendation can be mailed in separately (to PO Box 12519, Columbus, OH 43212) from your application submitted at ScholarOne.
Once all of the needed material is compiled, go to https://mc04.manuscriptcentral.com/oas to register and submit your Ohio EPA Scholarship Application.
Value of the Award
Up to $2,500 is available for students entering their final year in four- and five-year programs. Scholarships may be used for tuition, fees, books, personal protection equipment, tools, instruments and field equipment but not housing.
The Ohio Academy of Science
1500 W. Third Ave., Suite 228
Columbus, OH 43212