Case Western Reserve prepares first-year undergraduate students to succeed in an increasingly globalized world through our exciting program CWRU in Madrid.
Every year, a number of first-year students are invited to participate in the program. They will be expected to spend the fall semester at Universidad Carlos IIxI de Madrid in Madrid, Spain, and begin their CWRU experience in Cleveland the following spring semester.
This study-abroad opportunity helps students grow their understanding of a different culture while they build the skills and knowledge they need to compete in the world’s marketplace after graduation.
Spain is a desirable location for many reasons: it is one of the top three destinations for undergraduate students studying abroad and CWRU has many partnerships there.
Why CWRU in Madrid?
- CWRU in Madrid students will experience their first semester of their first year in Madrid, taking remote classes with CWRU faculty and in-person classes at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Students will explore Madrid and experience intercultural learning to immerse themselves in Spanish culture. Classes will be taught in English, however, students may want to use this semester as an opportunity to learn or improve their Spanish.
- In addition to having a dedicated CWRU faculty member, students will be supported by a student navigator during the semester abroad. This is designed to help students to get the most out of their experience before returning to the U.S. and starting their spring semester at CWRU.
Key information for first-year students enrolling in fall 2023
- Dates: Participating students will be expected to arrive in Madrid about one week before classes start on Monday, Sept. 4 and will depart after classes conclude on Dec. 22.
- Travel: Students may depart from their airport of choice, arriving before Monday, Aug. 28 and departing after Friday, Dec 22. Students are responsible for travel expenses.
- Visas: The CWRU Office of Education Abroad will complete batch processing for the required student visas for U.S. passport holders only.
- Classes: Fall 2023 CWRU in Madrid classes will start at Carlos III de Madrid on Monday, Sept. 4. The semester ends Dec. 22.
- Spring semester at CWRU in Cleveland will begin Jan. 16, 2024, with an orientation program, Discover Days, that starts a few days prior. Emails will be sent to CWRU in Madrid students in preparation for the spring semester at CWRU.
- Housing: The Office of Education Abroad and Carlos III de Madrid have established group housing for CWRU in Madrid students at a brand new, high-end facility in Leganes. Housing will be in double rooms and will include board Monday - Friday. Light housekeeping services will be included.
- Cost: Students will pay the same for the CWRU in Madrid program as they would for a semester at CWRU: tuition will be to CWRU, and the costs for room and board will be the same as any other first semester student would pay to CWRU. Students are responsible for travel expenses.