The Department of Dance is housed in what is now known as Mather Dance Center. Built in 1908 as the Mather Gym for the Flora Stone Mather College for Women, dance has graced the floors of the building since 2011. There are three studios inside Mather Dance Center, the largest being a space that converts into a studio theater, a classroom, costume workshop, costume storeroom, lounge and four offices.
Located in what is known as the Mather Quad, Mather Dance Center is adjacent to the Tinkham Veale University Center as well as Thwing Center. The department supports the use of the studios for a few undergraduate dance clubs when scheduling permits. However, use of the building is mainly for the department’s classes, rehearsals and performances. Therefore, use by outside groups cannot be supported.
The largest studio with 3,600 square foot, it has a world class sprung floor and a concert grand piano, making it the perfect space for most of the dance classes and main performances. The 24 tall windows make the space bright and airy.
This 900 square foot medium sized studio on the second level is also light and airy with 12 windows and has an original wood floor.
This 800 square foot smaller studio also has a sprung floor and is perfect for individual student lab time and some rehearsals.