CWRU Links
Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

ARPAD ACADEMY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES

ARPAD ACADEMY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES

The ARPAD ACADEMY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES, a professional organization founded to recognize and support scientists, authors, and artists of Hungarian descent, was founded in 1965 by JOHN B. NADAS. Nadas, a native of Hungary, came to the U.S. in 1950 and settled in Lakewood shortly thereafter. He soon became a leader in Hungarian-American affairs. He headed the Arpad Academy of Arts and Sciences for over 25 years, until his death in August 1992 at the age of 89.

The Arpad Academy of Arts and Sciences was one of a number of organizations founded in the post-World War II era by recent HUNGARIAN immigrants to preserve the traditions of their native land. Members of this Lakewood-founded and -based organization discuss world events and engage in cultural activities. There is an annual meeting with a symposium. The organization contributes to Kronika, a yearbook, in conjunction with the Hungarian Congress. In 1993 the organization had over 350 members in more than 50 countries.

For many years, the Arpad Academy of Arts and Sciences operated out of Nadas' Grace Ave., Lakewood, home. Also using this address were other Hungarian organizations: the Arpad Federation, the Hungarian Congress, and the National Federation of American Hungarians. Nadas also served as president of the latter two organizations.