A to D

At the catafalque on Public Square, a crowd gathers on April 28th, 1965, to view the body of Abraham Lincoln.
A crowd gathers at the catafalque on Public Square to view the body of Abraham Lincoln, 28 Apr. 1865. WRHS.
A view of the façade of the Academy of Music on Bank (West 6th Street), ca. 1880s. WRHS.
The Academy of Music, ca. 1880s. WRHS.
An interior view of the International Salt Co. (now Akzo-Nobel) mine underneath Whiskey Island, 1966. CPL.
The International Salt Co. (now Akzo-Nobel) mine underneath Whiskey Island, 1966. CPL.
From the Cleveland Press Collection at the CSU Archives, an image of Muhammad Ali watching Chuck Wepner fall to the canvas in the 15th round, 24 Mar. 1975.
Muhammad Ali watches Chuck Wepner fall to the canvas in the 15th round, 24 Mar. 1975. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
A view of the Alta House Social Settlement at Mayfield Rd. and E. 125,in Little Italy, ca. 1920. WRHS.
Alta House, Mayfield Rd. and E. 125, ca. 1920. WRHS.
This sculpted head of Amasa Stone, first used as a keystone at the old Union Depot, now adorns the Amasa Stone Chapel on the Case Western Reserve University Campus.
This sculpted head of Amasa Stone, first used as a keystone at the old Union Depot, now adorns the Amasa Stone Chapel. Wendell Morningstar Photography.
A team of Engineers survey the partially completed Ambler Parkway in 1895. WRHS.
Engineers survey Ambler Parkway, 1895. WRHS.
A nearly completed ship is ready to launch at the Cleveland Ship Building Co., a forerunner of the American Ship Building Co., 1890. WRHS
Cleveland Ship Building Co., a forerunner of the American Ship Building Co., 1890. WRHS
Samuel Andrews
Samuel Andrews's mansion, also called 'Andrews's Folly,' located on Euclid Ave., ca. 1890. WRHS.
The Great Lakes cruise ship, S.S. Aquarama docks in Cleveland in 1956. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives
The S.S. Aquarama docks in Cleveland, 1956. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
Homeless people crowd the inside of the Wayfarer
The Wayfarer's Lodge provided temporary shelter for people in need during the Great Depression, ca. 1930. WRHS.
The Charcoal Plant of the Austin Powder Company stands  near the Five Mile Lock of the Ohio-Erie Canal, ca. 1870. The facility exploded in 1907. WRHS
Charcoal Plant of the Austin Powder Company, near the Five Mile Lock of the Ohio-Erie Canal, ca. 1870. The facility exploded in 1907. WRHS.
The Astor House, the oldest structure in Cleveland, as it appeared in the early 1900s. WRHS
The Astor House as it appeared in the early 1900s. WRHS
The sled dog Balto, named for explorer Samuel Johansen Balto, stands beside his owner, Gunnar Kasson, ca. 1925. CPL
Balto and his owner, Gunnar Kasson, ca. 1925. CPL
The crowd and players stand for the National Anthem at the 1954 All Star Game held at Cleveland
The crowd and players stand for the National Anthem at the 1954 All Star Game held at Cleveland's Municipal Stadium, 13 July 1954. The Sporting News.
Snow piles from the blizzard of 1913 impede traffic on West 25 Street. WRHS
The blizzard of 1913 impedes traffic on West 25 Street. WRHS.
A carriage is exiting the Blue Rock Mineral Springs at the foot of Cedar Hill, ca. 1900.
Carriage exits the Blue Rock Mineral Springs at the foot of Cedar Hill, ca. 1900. In 1995, the site was the location for the Lincoln Storage Co. WRHS.
This large three-story house on Kinsman Road served as the first location of the Booth Memorial Hospital  Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives
First location of the Booth Memorial Hospital on Kinsman Rd., n.d. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
This panoramic view shows Standard Oil Co.
Standard Oil Co.'s No. 1 Refinery in Cleveland when the city was the center of the world petroleum industry, 1889. WRHS.
Standard Oil Co. founder John D. Rockefeller escorts sister-in-law Lucy Spelman through Coit Rd. Railroad Station in East Cleveland, en route to Rockefeller
Standard Oil Co. founder John D. Rockefeller (with cane) escorts sister-in-law Lucy Spelman through Coit Rd. Station in East Cleveland, en route to Rockefeller's Forest Hill summer home, 1912. WRHS.
Adele Parker, astride a horse and waving her hat jumps a three-rail barrier.
Cleveland State University, Special Collections
Adele von Ohl Parker, ca. 1930
Portrait of Alexander Blazys
Alexander Blazys. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS.
Alfred Benesch Portrait
Alfred Benesch. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
Photo of the Allen Memorial Medical Library from across the street, 1929.
Cleveland Public Library
Allen Memorial Medical Library, 1929.
Advertisement for Anna Pavlova and Mikhail Mordkin in Cleveland at the Hippodrome Theater, "The Plain Dealer," 22 May 1910.
Courtesy of the Plain Dealer Archives
Advertisement for Anna Pavlova and Mikhail Mordkin in Cleveland at the Hippodrome Theater, "The Plain Dealer," 22 May 1910.
Annie Spencer Cutter Portrait
Annie Spencer Cutter. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
Archie Bell Portrait
Archie Bell. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
Arial view of the 1936-37 Great Lakes Exposition
Cleveland Memory
Arial view of the 1936-1937 Great Lakes Exposition grounds with Municipal Stadium is in the foreground
Black and White photo of August Chilcote
tap-usa.com
A view from behind home plate shows a crowd of over 100,000 watching the intercity championship baseball game between White Auto and Omaha "Luxus" teams at Brookside Park Stadium, 10 Oct. 1915.  WRHS
The intercity championship baseball game between White Auto and Omaha 'Luxus' at Brookside Park Stadium, 10 Oct. 1915. Over 100,000 spectators viewed the contest. WRHS.
Barnett Brickner Portrait
Barnett Brickner. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
Sherlock Holmes actor Basil Rathbone on the set of a Cinecraft sponsored film for the Carling Brewing Company
Hagley.org
Sponsored film studios based in Cleveland helped launch a number of beer brands and beer packaging innovations – like these from the Carling Brewing Company. Here, Sherlock Holmes actor, Basil Rathbone, is on a Cinecraft Productions set promoting the Leisy Premier Theatre, a 1951 weekly TV show.
Benedict Crowell Portrait
Benedict Crowell. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
Benjamin P. Bole Portrait
Benjamin P. Bole. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS Archive
Black and White Photo of Benjamin P. Forbes Sitting at his desk
Courtesy of Western Reserve Historical Society
Cinecraft founders Betty and Ray Culley (behind the camera), circa 1940
Hagley Museum and Library
Cinecraft founders Betty and Ray Culley (behind the camera), circa 1940.
Betty Cope, founding president of WVIZ Channel 25 and television pioneer, with camera on the set of WVIZ.
Courtesy of the Plain Dealer
Betty Cope, founding president of WVIZ Channel 25 and television pioneer, with camera on the set of WVIZ.
Staff of the Black History Archives at Western Reserve Historical Society in 1970. OLIVIA MARTIN, DENNIS HARRISON, and KERMIT PIKE
From the Ohio Archivist, Fall 1970
Image from the Society of Ohio Archivists newsletter, Fall 1970
Bob Feller pitching, 23 Aug. 1936
WRHS
Bob Feller pitching against the St. Louis Browns on 23 Aug. 1936. The Indians would win the game, 4-1.
The three-story Cataract House Hotel at Broadway and South Miles avenues was a noted hotel in the Newburg area of Cleveland in 1867. CP
The Cataract House Hotel, Broadway and South Miles avenues, 1867. CPL.
The Gothic style Central High School building, ca. 1888
The Gothic style Central High School building, ca. 1888
Shoppers look for bargains at dealers’ tables outside the Central Market, E. 4th St., ca. 1946. WRHS
Central Market, E. 4th St., ca. 1946. WRHS.
This view from the Cuyahoga River shows the swing span of the Central Viaduct circa 1910.
The Central Viaduct spans the Cuyahoga River, ca. 1910. WRHS.
Period automobiles line the street in front of Al Sutphin
Al Sutphin's Cleveland Arena, 1947. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
African-American newsboys gather in front of the Call & Post building, home to Cleveland
Newsboys gather in front of the Call & Post building, ca. 1935. Photo from the Allen Cole Collection, WRHS.
Map of City of Cleveland Wards, 1840
City of Cleveland Wards, 1840
Map of City of Cleveland Wards, 1860
City of Cleveland Wards, 1860
Map of City of Cleveland Wards, 1880
City of Cleveland Wards, 1880
Map of City of Cleveland Wards, 1900
City of Cleveland Wards, 1900
Map of City of Cleveland Wards, 1920
City of Cleveland Wards, 1920
Map of City of Cleveland Wards, 1949
City of Cleveland Wards, 1949
Map of City of Cleveland Wards, 1963
City of Cleveland Wards, 1963
Map of Cleveland Wards, 1986
City of Cleveland Wards, 1986
Map of City of Cleveland Wards, 1995
City of Cleveland Wards, 1995
Firefighters rescue workers by ladder at the Cleveland Clinic main building during the Clinic Disaster on 15 May 1929. Courtesy of the Archives of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation and the Plain Dealer
Firefighters rescue workers at the Cleveland Clinic Disaster, 15 May 1929. Courtesy of the Archives of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation and the Plain Dealer.
Armed forces personnel bearing flags stand at attention at the dedication ceremonies of the American Cultural Garden, July 1943. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer
Dedication ceremonies at the American Cultural Garden, July 1943. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
A three-horse team pulls the Cleveland Fire Department
The Cleveland Fire Department's Engine NO. 2 on Public Square, ca. 1910. WRHS.
Members of the Cleveland Gatling Gun Battery test their weapons at Lake Chatauqua, ca. 1895. WRHS
The Cleveland Gatling Gun Battery, at Lake Chatauqua, ca. 1895. WRHS.
Members of the Cleveland Grays in full uniform pose for a group picture at Camp Wise, ca. 1890s. WRHS
The Cleveland Grays gather at Camp Wise, ca. 1890s. WRHS.
Numerous signs and advertisements adorn the facade of  the Cleveland Herald Building on Bank Street (W. 6th) and Superior Avenue, ca. 1870s. WRHS.
The Cleveland Herald Building, Bank Street (W. 6th) and Superior Avenue, ca. 1870s. WRHS.
A passenger car of the Cleveland, Southwestern, & Columbus Interurban Railway, arrives in Cleveland ca. 1920. WRHS
Passenger car of the Cleveland, Southwestern, & Columbus Interurban Railway, ca. 1920. WRHS.
An aerial view of the Cleveland State Hospital shows the extent of the large complex on Turney Road, ca. 1951. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives
An aerial view of the Cleveland State Hospital complex, ca. 1951. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
Three Gothic style buildings on Woodland Avenue served as the Cleveland Workhouse in the 1880s.  WRHS.
Cleveland Workhouse, ca. 1880s. WRHS.
Charred aftermath of the Lakeview Elementary School after the tragic Collinwood school fire, 4 Mar. 1908. WRHS
The smoldering remains of Lakeview Elementary School after the Collinwood school fire, 4 Mar. 1908. WRHS.
A  ceramist sprays glaze on a small statue at Cowan Pottery
A ceramist at work at Cowan Pottery's studio, 1928. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
This five-story steel sphere was used for oxygen-therapy for patients at the Cunningham Sanitarium, ca. 1930.  Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
The Cunningham Sanitarium, ca. 1930. The five-story steel sphere was utilized for oxygen-therapy for the sanitarium's patients. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
The Cuyahoga Building on Public Square, designed by Daniel H. Burnham and erected in 1893, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
The Cuyahoga Building on Public Square, designed by Daniel H. Burnham and erected in 1893, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
A view of the Cuyahoga River, looking north from the riverbank at Superior Ave., 1870. WRHS
A view of the Cuyahoga River, looking north from the riverbank at Superior Ave., 1870. WRHS.
Soldiers stand in formation outside the Central Armory on Lakeside Avenue during World War I. WRHS
Soldiers stand in formation at Central Armory during World War I. WRHS.
A black and white photo of the facade of a building with a sign that reads "Cadillac Lounge"
Cleveland Memory
The sign for the Cadillac Lounge in 1949
A lithograph depicting a blast furnace. The print is stamped "Federal Art Program No. 1."
Cleveland Public Library
"Blast Furnace" by Jolan Gross-Bettelheim.
Carl Stokes and his wife Shirley outside a voting booth on Election Day, 1967
Cleveland Memory
Carl Stokes and his wife Shirley outside a voting booth on Election Day, 1967. By winning the election, Stokes became the first African-American to be elected mayor of a large U.S. city.
Glenn Curtiss' flight from Euclid Beach, circa 1905-1910
WRHS
Glenn Curtiss' flight from Euclid Beach, ca. 1905-1910.
CEN-PE-CO owner posing with award at the induction ceremony for The One Hundred Years Club of Western Reserve
CEN-PE-CO owner at the induction ceremony for The One Hundred Years Club of Western Reserve
Case Hall, a noted concert and lecture hall at Public Square and Superior is shown as it appeared in the early 1900s. WRHS.
Case Hall as it appeared in the early 1900s. WRHS.
Image of Cleveland City Hall ca. 1880s. WRHS.
Cleveland City Hall as it appeared in the 1880s. WRHS.
Chester Castle Bolton Portrait
Chester Castle Bolton, 1932. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
1948 photo of the Cinecraft, Inc. "Television Televised" film
Hagley.org
1948 still from the Cinecraft, Inc. film, "Television Televised"
The lobby of Cleveland's Bohemian National Hall, dedicated to the Cleveland Agreement of 1915 during the centennial celebration of Czechoslovakia in October 2018.
Paul Burik
The lobby of Cleveland's Bohemian National Hall, dedicated to the Cleveland Agreement of 1915 during the centennial celebration of Czechoslovakia in October 2018.
Minutes of the Cleveland Agreement Conference
Paul Burik
Minutes of the Cleveland Agreement conference. The last item (item #8) indicates that, once signed by the two parties, these minutes constitute the agreement. Presidents Dr. Ludvik Fisher signed for “České národní sdružení” – the Bohemian National Alliance, and Mr. Albert Mamatey signed for the Slovak League.
The Film Exchange building in 1965
Cleveland State University Digital Collection
The Cleveland Film Exchange building in 1965
Exterior view of the 1930s Cleveland Municipal Airport building.
WRHS
Exterior view of the 1930s Cleveland Municipal Airport building.
George Szell leading the Cleveland Orchestra at the Leningrad Philharmonia Bolshoi Hall, Leningrad, May 1965.
Photo by Oleg Makarov, courtesy of The Cleveland Orchestra Archives
George Szell leading the Cleveland Orchestra at the Leningrad Philharmonia Bolshoi Hall, Leningrad, May 1965.
Cleveland Public Library Logo
Cleveland Public Library Logo
School gardeners at Ben Franklin Garden
Cleveland Memory
School gardeners at Ben Franklin Garden
A piano and microphones stand in the main studio of the Cleveland Recording Co in this undated photograph
Cleveland Recording Co. Studio
Cleveland Municipal Stadium shortly after its completion with Lake Erie in the background.
Cleveland Municipal Stadium
A black and white photo of the Cuyahoga County Jail and Criminal Courts Building in 1931, a towering stone structure.
Cleveland Public Library
A photo of the Cuyahoga County Jail and Criminal Courts Building in 1931.
A black and white photo of a cell in the fourth Cuyahoga County Jail in 1910, with a cot on the left and photos hanging on the wall above
Cleveland Public Library
A photo of a cell in the fourth Cuyahoga County Jail in 1910.
Doctors
Doctors' Hospital at 12345 Cedar Rd., ca. 1948. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
Dudley Blossom Portrait
Dudley Blossom. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
Map of the East and West branches of Dugway Brook in Cleveland, Ohio
City of University Heights