E to L

County Engineering employees searching through the blast wreckage of the East Ohio Gas Co. explosion, 1944. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives
County Engineering employees search through the wreckage of the East Ohio Gas Co. explosion, 1944. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
The vast interior of Cleveland’s first ice skating venue, the Elysium stands empty in this undated photograph. WRHS, courtesy of the Kekic Collection
Interior of the Elysium, n.d. WRHS, courtesy of the Kekic Collection.
The majestic homes lining "Millionaires
Stately homes line 'Millionaires' Row' on Euclid Ave., looking west from Erie St. (E. 9th), ca. 1870. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
The tall spire of the Euclid Ave. Baptist Church dwarfs other buildings along Euclid near East 18th Street, ca. 1900. WRHS
Euclid Ave. Baptist Church, ca. 1900. WRHS.
Construction of the Euclid Ave. Opera House at Euclid and East 4th street is nearly completed in this view  from the mid 1870s. WRHS
Construction of the Euclid Ave. Opera House, ca. 1870s. WRHS.
Patrons at Euclid Beach Park ride the miniature railroad train, ca. 1930s. Courtesy of Amusement Park Books, Inc./Ed Chukayne
Patrons at Euclid Beach Park, ca. early 1930s. Pictured: Members of the Eppley family, including Arleen Eppley Gannon and her brother George Eppley, and sisters Marcella and Dorma. Courtesy of Amusement Park Books, Inc./Ed Chukayne.
Site of the Glenville Shootout from the intersection of E. 123rd and Beulah looking east toward Lakeview Avenue, 2018.
Matthew Chasney
Site of the Glenville Shootout from the intersection of E. 123rd and Beulah looking east toward Lakeview Avenue, 2018.
Cyris Eaton (standing) and Nikita Khrushchev (sitting) at the Biltmore Hotel lunch reception, September 30, 1960.
Courtesy of the Cleveland Public Library Photograph Collection.
Cyris Eaton (standing) and Nikita Khrushchev (sitting) at the Biltmore Hotel lunch reception, September 30, 1960.
Cyrus Eaton (standing) and his wife Anne (seated in a wheelchair) meet with Nikita Khrushchev in Moscow, 1964.
Courtesy of the Western Reserve Historical Society.
Cyrus Eaton (standing) and his wife Anne (seated in a wheelchair) meet with Nikita Khrushchev in Moscow, 1964.
Cyrus Eaton (extreme right) meets with visiting Soviet journalists at his Acadia Farms in Northfield, Ohio, 28 October 1955.
Courtesy of the Cleveland Public Library Photograph Collection.
Cyrus Eaton (extreme right) meets with visiting Soviet journalists at his Acadia Farms in Northfield, Ohio, October 28, 1955. The Soviet journalists (from left to right) are as follows: Anatoli V. Sofronov, Viktor V. Poltoratski, Aleksei I. Adzhubei, Boris N. Kampov-Polevoy, and Valentin M. Berezhkov.
The troika gifted by Anastas Mikoyan to Cyrus Eaton at his Acadia Farms in Northfield, Ohio, 2 March 1959.
Courtesy of the Cleveland Public Library Photograph Collection.
The troika gifted by Anastas Mikoyan to Cyrus Eaton at his Acadia Farms in Northfield, Ohio, 2 March 1959.
Euclid Avenue near East 9th Street in the 1920s
WRHS
Euclid Avenue near East 9th Street circa 1920s
A full-side view of a large 1910 Cleveland-Built  F.B. Stearns sedan. Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum, WRHS.
A 1910 F.B. Stearns sedan. Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum, WRHS.
A young boy leans against a lamppost just across the street from First Baptist Church at Euclid Ave. and Erie (E. 9th) St., in 1875. WRHS.
First Baptist Church at Euclid Ave. and Erie (E. 9th) St., 1875. WRHS.
The Old Stone Church (First Presbyterian Church) next to the Cleveland Electric Illuminating building, ca. 1910. WRHS
The Old Stone Church (First Presbyterian Church) on Public Square, flanked by the Cleveland Electric Illuminating building, ca. 1910. WRHS.
This aerial view of the Fisher Body Plant on Coit Rd. shows the enormous size of the factory, ca. 1949. WRHS
Aerial view of the Fisher Body Plant on Coit Rd., ca. 1949. WRHS.
Members of the Forest City Baseball Club pose for a formal studio photograph in uniform and with bats in the early 1880s. WRHS.
Members of the Forest City Baseball Club in the early 1880s. WRHS.
A large temporary triumphal arch spanned Superior Avenue on Public Square a part of a celebration of Germany
Public Square celebration of Germany's victory over France in the Franco-Prussian War, 1871. WRHS.
Nine members, including founder John O. Holly of the Future Outlook League pose for a formal studio photograph, ca. 1938. Photo from the Allen Cole Collection, WRHS.
Members of the Future Outlook League, ca. 1938. Photo from the Allen Cole Collection, WRHS.
A black and white sketch of the first Cuyahoga County Courthouse and Jail which was housed in a two-story log cabin
Cleveland Memory
A black and white sketch of the first Cuyahoga County Courthouse and Jail
Florence Allen Portrait
Florence Allen. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
A 1935 quilt made with a "Nancy Page" laurel wreath quilt pattern
Quiltindex.org
A 1935 quilt made with a Florence LaGanke "Nancy Page" laurel wreath quilt pattern. This particular pattern series appeared in newspapers across the country from 1934-1935
Early Forbes Chocolate Company Logo written in black and white decorative calligraphy
Courtesy of Western Reserve Historical Society
Forbes Chocolate Company
Mrs. Frances Taft presents a box of roses to Mrs. Shirley Stokes, wife of mayor-elect Carl B. Stokes, to congratulate her on Stokes' victory
Cleveland Memory
Frances Taft (in light coat) presents a box of roses to Shirley Stokes, wife of mayor-elect Carl B. Stokes, congratulating her on her husband's successful election, 1967
Frank Sidel and Stu Buchanan discussion a script for "The Ohio Story" radio and TV series
Ohio Genealogical Society Library
“The Ohio Story” radio and TV series was written by Frank Siedel (left) and produced by Stu Buchanan (right). The series ran state-wide from 1947 to 1955 on radio and 1953 to 1961 on TV. At the time, the filmed series held the record as the longest-running scripted radio and TV program in the nation.
Frank Siedel standing amidst a pile of "The Ohio Story" film reels and scripts
Ohio Genealogical Society Library
Frank Siedel standing amidst 1,300+ radio scripts and 175 cans of TV show filmstock for "The Ohio Story."
Portrait of Frederick J. Lipp
Courtesy of the Women's City Club
Portrait of Frederick J. Lipp
A large crowd gathers for services at the Garfield Monument, Lake View Cemetery, to commemorate the centennial anniversary of the birth of James A. Garfield, 1932. CSU Archives.
Services at the Garfield Monument, Lake View Cemetery, commemorate the centennial anniversary of the birth of James A. Garfield, 1932. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
Two rows of women stand at ironing board in The Ironing Department of L.N. Gross Co. garment company, ca. 1930. WRHS.
The Ironing Department of L.N. Gross Co., ca. 1930. WRHS.
A Conceptual Cross-Section of the Geology of the Greater Cleveland area.
Conceptual Cross-Section of Local Geology
A map of Ancient Shorelines of Lake Erie in Cuyahoga County
Ancient Shorelines of Lake Erie
A map of Major Rivers and Streams of Cuyahoga County
Major Rivers and Streams of Cuyahoga County
Workers at the Glenn L. Martin company  relax in front of the Martin MB-I Bomber they are building , ca. 1920. WRHS.
Workers relax after completing work on a Martin Bomber, ca. 1920. WRHS.
A full grandstand of spectators watch harness racing at Glenville Track, ca. 1900. WRHS.
Harness racing at Glenville Track, ca. 1900. WRHS.
Ohio National Guard soldiers stand near a jeep while on duty  in Cleveland following the Glenville shootout, July 1968. CPL.
Ohio National Guard soldiers on duty in Cleveland following the Glenville shootout, July 1968. CPL.
Map of Cuyahoga County Congressional Districts, 48th Congress
Congressional Districts, 48th Congress
Map of Cuyahoga County Congressional Districts, 61st-82nd Congress
Congressional Districts, 61st-82nd Congress
Map of Cuyahoga County Congressional Districts 93nd-97th Congress
Congressional Districts, 93nd-97th Congress
Map of Cuyahoga County Congressional Districts 104th Congress
Congressional Districts, 104th Congress
Public square and the Soldiers and Sailors Monument are decorated for the Grand Army of the Republic Convention in 1901. WRHS
Grand Army of the Republic Convention, 1901. WRHS.
IMG Motor Sports driver Paul Tracy maneuvers through the course at the 1994 Grand Prix of Cleveland. Courtesy of IMG Motor Sports.
IMG Motor Sports driver Paul Tracy maneuvers through the course at the 1994 Grand Prix of Cleveland. Courtesy of IMG Motor Sports.
The Sherwin-Williams Plaza at the Great Lakes Exposition dominates Mall A in this image taken in 1937. WRHS.
Mall A was the site of the Sherwin-Williams Plaza at the Great Lakes Exposition of 1937. WRHS.
A black and white photo of Sandy Block (left) and Tony Rogers, members of Cleveland’s Gay Activists Alliance in 1972
Cleveland Memory
Sandy Block (left) and Tony Rogers, members of Cleveland’s Gay Activists Alliance in 1972
George Adomeit Portrait
George Adomeit. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
George Crile Portrait
George Crile. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
George Szell meets with Armenian Orthodox Patriarch (Catholicos) Vazgen I (seated), Etchmiadzin, Armenia, May 3, 1965.
Courtesy of The Cleveland Orchestra Archives
George Szell meets with Armenian Orthodox Patriarch (Catholicos) Vazgen I (seated), Etchmiadzin, Armenia, May 3, 1965. Photographer unknown.
Photo caption reads “George Voinovich throws out the first plum at an Indians-Yankees game, launching a campaign [Cleveland is a Plum] to sweeten Cleveland’s image nationally.” Courtesy of The Plain Dealer.
The Plain Dealer
Photo caption reads “George Voinovich throws out the first plum at an Indians-Yankees game, launching a campaign [Cleveland is a Plum] to sweeten Cleveland’s image nationally.” Courtesy of Cleveland Public Library and The Plain Dealer.
George G. Jones with assistant at Favorite Brass Foundry, 2539 Central Ave.
George G. Jones with assistant at Favorite Brass Foundry, 2539 Central Ave.
Germania Hall in 1940, then used as the Goodwill Industries headquarters building
Cleveland Public Library Digital Gallery
Germania Hall in 1940, then used as the Goodwill Industries headquarters. The building, designed by Cudell and Richardson and built in 1887, was demolished circa 1954.
Image of John Grabowski's dad
Dad (right, second row from top) - 1928.
Image of Senior Editor Dr. John Grabowski, of the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
Senior Editor John J. Grabowski
Senior Editor John J. Grabowski, Krieger-Mueller - Associate Professor of Applied History
Image of John Grabowski's dad
Dad (second row from the top) Washington Park, Memorial day 1928
Image of John Grabowski's dad
Dad (second row from the top) Washington Park, Memorial day 1928
Image of John Grabowski's dad
Dad (second row from the top) Washington Park, Memorial day 1928
Image of John Grabowski's dad
Dad (second row from the top) in 1928.
Aerial view of the main entrance to the Great Lakes Exposition, Sherwin-Williams Plaza, Cleveland Convention Center, and Cleveland City Hall
Cleveland Memory
Aerial view of the main entrance to the Great Lakes Exposition, Sherwin-Williams Plaza, Cleveland Convention Center, and Cleveland City Hall
A lithograph depicting a blast furnace. The print is stamped "Federal Art Program No. 1."
Cleveland Public Library
Gross-Bettelheim's print of a blast furnace for the Federal Art Project in Cleveland.
This photograph from 30 December 1940 shows Vahe Gulbenkian repairing such a rug on a loom at 12551 Euclid Ave.
Courtesy of the Cleveland Public Library Photograph Collection.
The Armenians have long played a major role in Cleveland's Oriental Rug business. This photograph from December 30, 1940 shows Vahe Gulbenkian repairing such a rug on a loom at 12551 Euclid Ave.
A streetcar stops in front of the early Euclid Ave. location of Halle Bros. Department Store, ca. 1900. WRHS.
The early Euclid Ave. location of Halle Bros. Department Store, ca. 1900. WRHS.
Patrons enjoy their beer at  Haltnorth
Patrons of Haltnorth's Garden, Willson (E. 55th) and Woodland aves., ca. 1890. WRHS.
People, trucks and streetcars fill the Haymarket area along Ontario Ave., ca. 1930. The facilities for the Gateway sports complex now occupy much of the site. WRHS.
The Haymarket area along Ontario Ave., ca. 1930. The facilities for the Gateway sports complex now occupy much of the site. WRHS.
he enormous Hollenden Hotel dominates the corner of Superior Ave. and E. 6th St. in 1906. WRHS
Hollenden Hotel at Superior Ave. and E. 6th St. 1906. WRHS.
Stone carvers pose in their workshop on a sculptural pylon for the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge, later renamed the Hope Memorial Bridge, ca. 1931. WRHS.
Stone carvers pose on a pylon of the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge, later renamed the Hope Memorial Bridge, ca. 1931. WRHS.
Bakers hand-decorate cakes at the main plant of Hough Bakery, 1973. CPL.
Bakers hand-decorate cakes at the main plant of Hough Bakery, 1973. CPL.
In front of the Hanna Theater, Milton Krantz, "Mr. First-Nighter," releases a homing pigeon on 6 May 1976
Cleveland Memory
Built in 1921, the Hanna Theater was a cornerstone of the Cleveland theater scene. In this photograph, general manager Milton Krantz, releases a homing pigeon in front of the theater on May 6, 1976. The pigeon took thirty minutes to reach its roost in North Olmsted. Krantz was know as "Mr. First Nighter."
Harris Cooley Portrait
Harris Cooley. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
Harry Volk smiling for the camera
Influential newspaper man, Harry Volk
The Emperor’s New Clothes cast photo
Larry Gorjup
The emperor showing off his “new clothes” to townspeople in The Emperor’s New Clothes. Note the wide range of ages, because actors were drawn from all grades in Cleveland Heights schools.
The Emperor’s New Clothes dress rehearsal
Larry Gorjup
In dress rehearsal for the Emperor's New Clothes: Left to right, Frank Porath as a tailor to the Emperor; unknown actor as the chamberlain; Wally Wood as a tailor to the Emperor.
The Emperor’s New Clothes with Frank Porath as a tailor
Larry Gorjup
Frank Porath as a tailor, being visited by the emperor’s chamberlain early in the play, The Emperor’s New Clothes.
The Emperor's New Clothes rehearsal with actors and scenery
Larry Gorjup
At left, scenery for Emperor’s throne room in The Emperor’s New Clothes. At right, street scene with actors preparing for the dress rehearsal. All scenery for this and other plays in this television series were painted by Barbara Wood.
In The Emperor's New Clothes, tailors convince the king to buy new clothes.
Larry Gorjup
In The Emperor’s New Clothes, the two tailors (played by recent Cleveland Heights HS graduates Wally Wood and Frank Porath) are convincing the Emperor (unknown actor) to buy new clothing only visible to honest people. Scene takes place in Emperor’s throne room.
Helen Maria Chesnutt class of 1901 photograph, courtesy of Smith College
Smith College Special Collections
Helen Maria Chesnutt class of 1901 photograph, courtesy of Smith College
Picture of the Holy Name High School Logo, which is a green wave surrounding the letters H and N.
Holy Name High School
Ethnic Settlements, ca. 1923.
A Map Ethnic Settlements in Cuyahoga County based on census tract data, ca. 1923.
Ethnic Neighborhoods, 1900-1950.
A Conceptual map of Traditional Ethnic Neighborhoods in Cuyahoga County, 1900-1950.
Headquarters for the International Ladies Garment Workers
The Carlin House, at 3233 Euclid Avenue, one mansions of Euclid Avenue served as the Headquarters for the International Ladies Garment Workers' Union when this photograph was taken in the 1950s. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
A Lakeshore Electric Railway interurban car, ca. 1920s. WRHS.
A Lakeshore Electric Railway interurban car passes an automobile during the 1920s. WRHS.
Advertisement for the Jordan Playboy coupe, 1920. WRHS.
This advertisement for the Jordan Playboy coupe is considered a landmark in the history of automobile promotion, 1920. WRHS.
Portrait of F. Jerome "Jerry" Turk in the 2000s
Courtesy of Patricia Turk Horvath
Portrait of F. Jerome "Jerry" Turk in the 2000s
K. Elmo Lowe and his wife Dorothy Paxton in 1937
Hagley Museum and Library
1937 Cleveland Play House press photo of K. Elmo Lowe and his wife, Dorothy Paxton
Langston Hughes and performers at the Karamu Theater. Courtesy of the Karamu House
Langston Hughes sits at a table with four performers at the Karamu Theater. Courtesy of the Karamu House.
May Co. store on Public Square, 1941. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
The May Co. store on Public Square during a busy day in 1941. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
Edris Eckhardt and Kokoon Club cohorts at the 1929 Bal Masque. Courtesy of the Cleveland Artists Foundation.
Edris Eckhardt five other Kokoon Club members pose in their costumes at the 1929 Bal Masque. Courtesy of the Cleveland Artists Foundation.
Fr. Jason Kappanadze at St. Theodosius, 1931.
Courtesy of the Cleveland Public Library Photograph Collection.
Fr. Jason Kappanadze at St. Theodosius, 1931.
Kirk Willis, who starred in a number of sponsored films and TV commercials produced by Cleveland-based Tri-State Motion Pictures and Cinecraft Productions.
Culley Family Collection at Hagley Library
Kirk Willis starred in a number of sponsored films and TV commercials produced by Cleveland-based Tri-State Motion Pictures and Cinecraft Productions.
Photograph of actor Kirk Willis
Courtesy of Sarah Willis
Actor Kirk Willis
Violence erupts as strikers overturn a vehicle outside the Fisher Body Plant, 1939. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives/Photo by Fred Bottomer.
Violence erupts as strikers overturn a vehicle outside the Fisher Body Plant, 1939. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives/Photo by Fred Bottomer.
A funeral procession at Lake View Cemetery, ca. 1911. Courtesy of Lake View Cemetery Association.
A row of automobiles forms a funeral procession at Lake View Cemetery, ca. 1911. Increased automobile use in the 1910s necessitated paving the cemetery's numerous pathways for motor traffic. Courtesy of Lake View Cemetery Association.
The Lakeside Nursing Unit is received by King George V and Queen Mary at Buckingham Palace, 18 May 1917. CWRU Archives.
The Lakeside Nursing Unit is received by King George V and Queen Mary at Buckingham Palace, 18 May 1917. CWRU Archives.
Ernest J. Bohn (left) escorts Eleanor Roosevelt on a tour of Lakeview Terrace at Lakeview
Ernest J. Bohn (left) escorts Eleanor Roosevelt on a tour of Lakeview Terrace at Lakeview's dedication ceremonies in 1937. Special Collections, CWRU Library.
A detailed drawing of League Park, 1924. CPL.
A detailed drawing showing League Park and its surrounding neighborhood in 1924. CPL.
An artist
An artist's rendering of the Leisy Brewing Co. facilities on Vega Avenue, ca. 1890. WRHS.
Feast of the Assumption parade in Cleveland
A band heads the procession at the Feast of the Assumption parade in Cleveland's Little Italy, ca. 1950. WRHS.
The Entrance to Luna Park, ca. 1910s. WRHS.
A large arch dominates the entrance to Luna Park, Cleveland’s fairyland of pleasure, ca. 1910s. WRHS.
CIO Director Lee Hall addresses a crowd of CIO members on Public Square during the Little Steel Strike, early July 1937. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
CIO Director Lee Hall addresses a crowd of CIO members on Public Square during the Little Steel Strike, early July 1937. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
Mayor Harold Burton and Safety Director Eliot Ness meet with the Steel Workers
Mayor Harold Burton and Safety Director Eliot Ness meet with the Steel Workers' Organization Committee at City Hall, July 1937.Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
Poet Langston Hughes in 1947
Cleveland Public Library Digital Gallery
Poet Langston Hughes in 1947
LeBron James banner being taken down from the Sherwin Williams building July 3, 2018
Matthew Chasney
LeBron James banner being removed from the Sherwin Williams building July 3, 2018
A black and white photo of the front of Little Ted's Restaurant and Bar in 1949
Cleveland Memory
Little Ted's Restaurant and Bar in 1949
Louise Winslow with John F. Kennedy and Cleveland Mayor Anthony Celebrezze
Cleveland State University, Michael Schwartz Library Special Collections
Louise Winslow with guests John Kennedy and Cleveland Mayor, Anthony Celebrezze, on her WERE “Brunch Time” radio show.