Doctors' Hospital at 12345 Cedar Rd., ca. 1948. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
Dudley Blossom. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
County Engineering employees search through the wreckage of the East Ohio Gas Co. explosion, 1944. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
Interior of the Elysium, n.d. WRHS, courtesy of the Kekic Collection.
Stately homes line 'Millionaires' Row' on Euclid Ave., looking west from Erie St. (E. 9th), ca. 1870. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
Euclid Ave. Baptist Church, ca. 1900. WRHS.
Construction of the Euclid Ave. Opera House, ca. 1870s. WRHS.
Patrons at Euclid Beach Park, ca. 1940s. Courtesy of Amusement Park Books, Inc./Ed Chukayne.
Site of the Glenville Shootout from the intersection of E. 123rd and Beulah looking east toward Lakeview Avenue, 2018.
A 1910 F.B. Stearns sedan. Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum, WRHS.
First Baptist Church at Euclid Ave. and Erie (E. 9th) St., 1875. WRHS.
The Old Stone Church (First Presbyterian Church) on Public Square, flanked by the Cleveland Electric Illuminating building, ca. 1910. WRHS.
Aerial view of the Fisher Body Plant on Coit Rd., ca. 1949. WRHS.
Members of the Forest City Baseball Club in the early 1880s. WRHS.
Public Square celebration of Germany's victory over France in the Franco-Prussian War, 1871. WRHS.
Members of the Future Outlook League, ca. 1938. Photo from the Allen Cole Collection, WRHS.
Florence Allen. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
Services at the Garfield Monument, Lake View Cemetery, commemorate the centennial anniversary of the birth of James A. Garfield, 1932. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
The Ironing Department of L.N. Gross Co., ca. 1930. WRHS.
Conceptual Cross-Section of Local Geology
Ancient Shorelines of Lake Erie
Major Rivers and Streams of Cuyahoga County
Workers relax after completing work on a Martin Bomber, ca. 1920. WRHS.
Harness racing at Glenville Track, ca. 1900. WRHS.
Ohio National Guard soldiers on duty in Cleveland following the Glenville shootout, July 1968. CPL.
Congressional Districts, 48th Congress
Congressional Districts, 61st-82nd Congress
Congressional Districts, 93nd-97th Congress
Congressional Districts, 104th Congress
Grand Army of the Republic Convention, 1901. WRHS.
IMG Motor Sports driver Paul Tracy maneuvers through the course at the 1994 Grand Prix of Cleveland. Courtesy of IMG Motor Sports.
Mall A was the site of the Sherwin-Williams Plaza at the Great Lakes Exposition of 1937. WRHS.
George Adomeit. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
George Crile. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
George G. Jones with assistant at Favorite Brass Foundry, 2539 Central Ave.
The early Euclid Ave. location of Halle Bros. Department Store, ca. 1900. WRHS.
Patrons of Haltnorth's Garden, Willson (E. 55th) and Woodland aves., ca. 1890. WRHS.
The Haymarket area along Ontario Ave., ca. 1930. The facilities for the Gateway sports complex now occupy much of the site. WRHS.
Hollenden Hotel at Superior Ave. and E. 6th St. 1906. WRHS.
Stone carvers pose on a pylon of the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge, later renamed the Hope Memorial Bridge, ca. 1931. WRHS.
Bakers hand-decorate cakes at the main plant of Hough Bakery, 1973. CPL.
Harris Cooley. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
A Map Ethnic Settlements in Cuyahoga County based on census tract data, ca. 1923.
A Conceptual map of Traditional Ethnic Neighborhoods in Cuyahoga County, 1900-1950.
The Carlin House, at 3233 Euclid Avenue, one mansions of Euclid Avenue served as the Headquarters for the International Ladies Garment Workers' Union when this photograph was taken in the 1950s. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
A Lakeshore Electric Railway interurban car passes an automobile during the 1920s. WRHS.
This advertisement for the Jordan Playboy coupe is considered a landmark in the history of automobile promotion, 1920. WRHS.
Langston Hughes sits at a table with four performers at the Karamu Theater. Courtesy of the Karamu House.
The May Co. store on Public Square during a busy day in 1941. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
Edris Eckhardt five other Kokoon Club members pose in their costumes at the 1929 Bal Masque. Courtesy of the Cleveland Artists Foundation.
Violence erupts as strikers overturn a vehicle outside the Fisher Body Plant, 1939. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives/Photo by Fred Bottomer.
A row of automobiles forms a funeral procession at Lake View Cemetery, ca. 1911. Increased automobile use in the 1910s necessitated paving the cemetery's numerous pathways for motor traffic. Courtesy of Lake View Cemetery Association.
The Lakeside Nursing Unit is received by King George V and Queen Mary at Buckingham Palace, 18 May 1917. CWRU Archives.
Ernest J. Bohn (left) escorts Eleanor Roosevelt on a tour of Lakeview Terrace at Lakeview's dedication ceremonies in 1937. Special Collections, CWRU Library.
A detailed drawing showing League Park and its surrounding neighborhood in 1924. CPL.
An artist's rendering of the Leisy Brewing Co. facilities on Vega Avenue, ca. 1890. WRHS.
A band heads the procession at the Feast of the Assumption parade in Cleveland's Little Italy, ca. 1950. WRHS.
A large arch dominates the entrance to Luna Park, Cleveland’s fairyland of pleasure, ca. 1910s. WRHS.
CIO Director Lee Hall addresses a crowd of CIO members on Public Square during the Little Steel Strike, early July 1937. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
Mayor Harold Burton and Safety Director Eliot Ness meet with the Steel Workers' Organization Committee at City Hall, July 1937.Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
LeBron James banner being removed from the Sherwin Williams building July 3, 2018
An early predecessor of the Main Ave. (Harold H. Burton Memorial) Bridge was this 200-foot hand-operated swing bridge, completed in 1869. WRHS.
Bird's-eye view of the 1903 Group Plan by Daniel Burnham. WRHS.
Members of the Mayor's Advisory War Committee meet at a large table in City Hall, ca. 1917. WRHS.
A large crowd sits at tables to hear Carl B. Stokes and Seth Taft debate at the City Club of Cleveland during the 1967 mayoral campaign. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives/Photo by Bill Nehez.
Young girls sit at tables and desks during a class at Miss Mittleberger's School, 1020 Prospect St., ca. 1900. WRHS
The Moses Cleaveland Statue on Public Square, ca. 1929. WRHS.
WPA artist Leroy Flint touches up a mural in the recreation room at CMHA's Woodhill Homes, ca. 1938. Special Collections, CWRU Library.
Cleveland's First Masonic Temple as it appeared in the 1880s. WRHS.
Multiple aircraft fly in formation at the National Air Races held in Cleveland, July 1935. WRHS.
Fred Crawford (right) presents the Thompson Trophy to aviator Roscoe Turner at the Cleveland National Air Races. WRHS.
A Nike Missile stands at the ready at its Cleveland lakefront launching site, ca. 1958. WRHS, photo by Howard L. Newmarker.
Postcard (1 of 5) sent to Elliot Ness in 1954 by an asylum inmate believed by some to be the Torso Murderer.
Postcard (2 of 5) sent to Eliot Ness in 1954 by an asylum inmate who some people believe may have been the torso murderer.
Postcard (4 of 5) sent to Eliot Ness in 1954 by an asylum inmate believed by some to have been the Torso Murderer. WRHS.
Postcard (5 of 5) sent to Eliot Ness in 1954 by an asylum inmate believed by some to have been the torso murderer.
Newton D. Baker, 1929. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
Rows of produce and other goods fill the inside the Northern Ohio Food Terminal in 1929. WRHS.
A broadside calling for public celebration of the return of the Oberlin-Wellington Rescuers, July, 1859. Oberlin College Archives.
A group of four people stand on State Boat No. 1 as it is pulled by two horses just south of Stone Rd., on the Ohio-Erie Canal, 1902. WRHS, Courtesy of Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area.
Collections fill the Olney Art Gallery in the Tremont neighborhood, ca. 1890s. The Olney collection was later transferred to the Dudley Allen Memorial Art Museum at Oberlin College. WRHS.
A horse-drawn Orlando Baking Co. delivery carriage, ca. 1909. Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
Ora Coltman. Ethel Standiford Collection, WRHS
Two young girls watch boaters on the Wade Park lagoon in 1888. WRHS.
Map of the Cleveland Metroparks System.
This 1932 Peerless, with a complete aluminum body and engine, was one of only 3 built by the Peerless Motor Car Co. Crawford Auto-Aviation Museum, WRHS.
The Perry Monument stands at the center of the intersection of Ontario and Superior in this 1870s photograph. WRHS.
The nine-story, newly completed Phyllis Wheatly Home at 4450 Cedar Ave., ca. 1927. WRHS.
Map of Native American Trails, Mounds, and Fortifications in Cuyahoga County.
Pres. Jimmy Carter and Republican candidate Ronald Reagan shake hands at the conclusion of the Presidential Debate in Cleveland, 28 Oct. 1980. Cleveland Press Collection, CSU Archives.
Edward Kuekes' 1953 Pulitzer Prize winning editorial cartoon 'Aftermath' depicts two soldiers carrying a young soldier on a stretcher. One asks “Wonder if he voted?” The other replies “No…He wasn’t old enough.” Courtesy of the Plain Dealer.
A crowd listens to an official speaking from a balcony at the dedication ceremonies for Outhwaite Homes, Aug. 1937. WRHS.
This newspaper drawing documents a group of strikers breaking down a door during the Cleveland Rolling Mill Strikes Strike of 1885, tested fledgling public safety forces. From Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper. WRHS.
Mayor Harold Burton (left) and Safety Director Eliot Ness pose on the Mall with the Police Department's new fleet of police cars, 10 Aug. 1938. WRHS.
The Soldiers and Sailor’s monument as seen from the northeast quadrant of Public Square, ca. 1895. WRHS.
The exterior of the Orange Avenue Cleveland Public Bath House as it appeared early in the Twentieth Century. WRHS.