BARRY, FRANK T. (9 Feb. 1881-31 Jan. 1956), a minister and social worker, founded and directed Woodland Ctr. Neighborhood House for over 30 years. Born in Lincoln, Nebr., and growing up in Topeka, Kans., he graduated from Lake Forest College, Lake Forest, Ill. (1905); from McCormick Theological Seminary, Chicago, (1908); and from Northwestern University (1912). He pastored Presbyterian congregations in Chicago, Evanston, Ill., and Minneapolis, Kans., before coming to Cleveland in 1918 as associate pastor and director of religious education at Woodland Ave. Presbyterian Church, becoming senior minister there in 1923. Barry was named minister in 1925 when the congregation of Woodland Ave. united with Kinsman-Union Congregational Church to form Woodland Hills Union Church. He developed Woodland Ctr., a social settlement house, as part of the church program and served as its director, creating social and recreational programs for people of all ages and ethnic backgrounds which at one time served over 4,000 neighbors. In May 1938, Woodland Ave. Presbyterian Church was razed, and in Mar. 1941, Woodland Ctr. Neighborhood House, renamed Garden Valley Neighborhood House, moved to E. 71st St. and Kinsman Rd. Barry pastored Woodland Hills from 1925-44, and directed Woodland Ctr. until 1948, when he retired and moved to Florida.
Barry married Sarah Prince McArthur in 1908 and had 4 children: Mary K. (Mrs. Raymond Gladieux); Dr. Frank McArthur Barry, a Cleveland physician; Martha Isabel (Mrs. Allen Mark); and Rev. David W. Barry. Barry died and was buried in Florida.