BEACH, CLIFTON BAILEY (16 Sept. 1845-15 Nov. 1902) Congressman and businessman, was born in Sharon, Medina County, the son of Israel Bailey and Emily C. (Wiggin) Beach. He moved with his parents to Cleveland in 1857, attending public schools and Western Reserve College in Hudson where he graduated in 1871. After studying law, he was admitted to the bar in 1872 and practiced with several firms until 1884, when he joined the partnership of Terrill, Beach & Cushing. He also became president of the H. P. Nail Co. which was organized by his father-in-law HENRY CHISHOLM in 1877 to produce wire, nails, staples, and rods. Beach also served two terms as congressman from Cleveland's 20th district (4 Mar.1895-3 Mar. 1899); he was not a candidate for renomination in 1898.
After living in Cleveland for many years, Beach purchased a 427-acre estate along the lake shore in 1888 from George Merwin and ex-Ohio governor Reuben Wood where he lived for the rest of his life. In 1897, Beach donated land to Rockport Township for an elementary school which was named Beach School. The Beach Cliff area of ROCKY RIVER originally was part of his property. The Rocky River Clock Tower at Avalon Dr. and Lake Rd. was rebuilt and rededicated in 1987; built in 1912, it had been the ornamental entrance marker for the Beach estate.
Beach married Janet Chisholm 15 Oct. 1873, and they had a son Chisholm. After her death 21 Sept. 1890, he married Adelaide Thow of St. Louis. Beach died at his home in ROCKY RIVER and was buried at LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.