BENTLEY, REVEREND ADAMSON (4 July 1785-2 Nov. 1864) was a minister of the DISCIPLES OF CHRIST, a banker and merchant, and the first settler in BENTLEYVILLE which he founded in 1831.
Born in Allegheny County (currently Bentleyville), PA. to Benjamin and Mary (Baldwin) Bentley, Adamson moved with his family to Brookfield, Trumbull County, OH. Here Bentley made public confessions of his faith in Jesus Christ in the Baptist order. His guardians advised him to prepare for the ministry and at age 19 he began preaching, continuing for the next five years as a licentiate.
In 1810 Bentley settled in Warren, OH., and became an ordained minister. In 18ll, Bentley served as Pastor of Bethany Baptist Church in Warren. In 1830 Bentley received a grant of 2,000 acres of land in the Western Reserve about 20 miles southeast of Cleveland. This area today is located on Miles Road.
In 1831 Bentley settled in the area presently known as Bentleyville and founded a town which included a dam, saw mill, grist mill, woolen mill, carding mill, race mill, a bridge, handle factory, a barn for his cattle, and his home. The Village of Bentleyville was incorporated on February 27, 1929.
In 1832 Bentley became the first Pastor of the Disciples of Christ Church (now The Federated Church) in CHAGRIN FALLS, serving until 1852. Bentley travelled a great deal to merchandise his cattle and preach sermons.
Bentley married Mary Brooks in 1811. They had nine children: Benjamin, Stoughton, Martin, May, Laura, Emily, Martha, Lorinda and Lucretia. Bentley is buried in Evergreen Hill Cemetery in Chagrin Falls.