BERTMAN, JOSEPH (1902-20 Oct. 1988), noted for his Ball Park mustard first used at LEAGUE PARK in the late 1920s and then at CLEVELAND MUNICIPAL STADIUM for many years, was born in Lublin, Poland in 1902 and came to this area with his parents as a child. Working as a deliveryman for William Edwards Co. and Halle Bros., he established Bertman Pickle Co. in 1925 at his home on E. 147 St. near Kinsman where he developed a variety of choice pickles, salad dressings, mustard, and other items based on his own recipes.
In the mid-1930s he established Joseph Bertman Inc., a wholesale food business first located at E. 103 St. and St. Clair and then at 2180 E. 76th St. His mustard, made from a secret recipe, was also popular at Euclid Beach, the Arena, the Coliseum, and area race tracks. It was known as Bertman's stadium mustard until 1982 when it became Ball Park mustard.
Bertman, who was married to Edith Gutermann Bertman for many years, died at age 86. He was survived by son Philip of Canoga Park California and daughter Patricia (Mrs. Marvin) Mazoh of Cleveland.