BIRD, PHILIP SMEAD (9 Nov. 1886-10 June 1948), a clergyman and civic leader, was born in Newtonville, Mass., the son of Joseph Edward and Gertrude Hubbard Smead Bird. He graduated with an A.B. from Pomona College, Claremont, Calif. (1909); from the University of California with a Master of Literature degree (1910); and from Union Theological Seminary, New York, in 1913.
Bird was ordained on 11 May 1913 and served as pastor and teacher of Biblical literature at churches and schools in Claremont, Calif, and Dobbs Ferry and Utica, N.Y. before his installation as pastor of the CHURCH OF THE COVENANT in Cleveland on 20 Feb. 1928. During his ministry, membership increased (from 1,733 to 2,500); Christ Chapel was created; the Williamson Chancel was restructured; and the Student Christian Union on the Western Reserve University campus was established. Bird was president of the Cleveland Church Fed. (1931-33); chairman of the Church Extension Committee of the Presbytery of Cleveland (1929-33); and moderator of the Presbytery (1942-43). In 1933 he organized the interfaith Cleveland Peace Committee, and was elected its chairman in 1936. He was also on the board of numerous civic and social service organizations.
Dr. Bird received honorary degrees from Hamilton College, Clinton, N.Y. (1924); from WRU (1928); and from the College of the Ozarks, Clarksville, Ark. (1933). Dr. Bird married Margaret Hubbell Kincaid of Utica, N.Y., on 11 July 1922; and had 1 daughter, Mrs. Joseph (Margaret Elizabeth) Kuder. Dr. Bird died in Cleveland and is buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.