BLANCHARD, FERDINAND Q. (23 July 1876-4 Mar. 1968), a clergyman, poet, author, and civic leader, was born in Jersey City Hts., N.J., to Edward Richmond and Anna Winifred Quincy Blanchard. He received his A.B. from Amherst College (1898) and his B.D. from Yale Divinity School (1901). He was ordained in 1901, and pastored churches in Southington, Conn. (1901-04) and East Orange, N.J. (1904-15), before becoming the minister of the EUCLID AVE. CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH on 25 Mar. 1915.
Blanchard was president of the Cleveland Church Fed. (1919-20); and served the AMERICAN RED CROSS, CLEVELAND CHAP.; the Associated Charities; the URBAN LEAGUE OF CLEVELAND; KARAMU HOUSE; the Maternal Health Assoc.; Schauffler College; the Missionary Assoc.; and Fisk University as trustee or board member. He founded (Jan. 1920) the Alathian Club, an ecumenical group of Cleveland clergy; and received honorary D.D. degrees from Amherst College (1918) and Oberlin College (1919).
On 14 June 1942, Blanchard became moderator of the General Council of the Congregational Christian Churches of the U.S.; and from 1944-50, was national chairman of the Congregational Commission of Interchurch Affairs. He worked for the June 1957 union of the Congregational and the Evangelical & Reformed churches which established the United Church of Christ. Blanchard also wrote articles, poems, and hymns, as well as several books. He retired in 1951.
Blanchard married Ethel Hebard West in 1901; they had 2 children, Edward R. and Virginia (Mrs. Chas. S. Becker). A memorial plaque was dedicated to him at the Euclid Ave. Cong. Church after his death. He was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.
From Village Green to City Center, 1843-1943 (Centennial of the Euclid Ave. Congregational Church, Cleveland, Ohio, 1943).