BLOSSOM, EMILY ELKINS (7 May 1913-21 Dec. 1991) was awarded the Medal of Merit from the Garden Club of America in 1973 for helping to create, beautify and sustain Blossom Music Center, the CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA's summer home. On 11 July 1992 the center dedicated the Emily Blossom Garden, established in 1990 in her honor. Blossom was born in Waycross, Georgia, the daughter of James and Mary (DeFord) Elkins. She married A. Davis Gale in 1934 and moved to Cleveland. They had two daughters, Sylvia G. Oliver and Emily G. McCartney. In 1954, two years after Gale died, Blossom married Dudley S. Blossom, Jr., becoming stepmother to Laurel Blossom, Elizabeth Hefferman-Meers, C. Bingham Blossom and Dudley S. Blossom III. Her husband died in 1961.
Blossom became a trustee of the MUSICAL ARTS ASSOCIATION in 1968 and served as vice-president from 1982-88. In 1990 the association named her honorary trustee for life. She was also honorary chair of the Blossom Women's Committee. Among other horticultural and cultural activities, Blossom served on the boards of the Cleveland Guidance Center, the GIRL SCOUTS, the NORTHERN OHIO OPERA ASSOC., the LAKE ERIE OPERA THEATER, and Cleveland Metroparks. In addition, she volunteered for PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF GREATER CLEVELAND and supported conservation projects. She was living in LYNDHURST when she died. Blossom was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.