BOLTON, FANNY MANN HANNA (6 Dec. 1907-9 May 1980) was a major contributor to and trustee of University Hospitals and was the founder of the Bolton Foundation.
Fanny Bolton was born in Cleveland to Jean Claire and Howard Melville Hanna Jr., president of the M. A. Hanna Mining Company. Fanny attended Laurel School and completed her education in New York by attending the Miss Masters School at Dobbs Ferry, and the French School.
Fanny married Julian Castle Bolton on April 27, 1929. They had two daughters: Clair Hanna Bolton Jonklaas, and Betsy Hanna Bolton Schafer. Julian Bolton was vice-president of the Hanna Company when he died suddenly on 24 Feb. 1944.
In 1952 Fanny Bolton established the Bolton Foundation, to which she was a major contributor. There were no restrictions on the use of income, and it primarily supported Cleveland hospitals and health services. While the Bolton Foundation still exists on record the foundation funds were equally distributed in 1988 into two new Ohio foundations: the Eliza-Bolton Foundation and the Kerridge Fund.
Fanny Bolton spent much of her life at Melrose Plantation in Thomasville, Georgia. She died at Hanna House and is buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.