The BREWSTER & STROUD FINE FURNITURE COMPANY in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, was founded as a joint furniture and undertaking business in 1870 by A.J. Cole. In 1887, Cole sold the business to Clinton Eggleston. In 1889, Eggleston sold the business to Milton Brewster.
The firm changed its name to Brewster & Stroud in 1919, when Brewster’s son-in-law, Harry W. Stroud joined the company. In 1930, Brewster & Stroud bought the William Gates residence on Franklin Street in Chagrin Falls. Seven years later, the funeral home was separated from the furniture store.
The furniture store closed in the early 2000s. At the time of its closing, the store was located at 8 East Washington Street in CHAGRIN FALLS. As of 2015, the funeral home, now called Stroud-Lawrence Funeral Home, was still in business at its location on Franklin Street in Chagrin Falls.
Jennifer Graham, Western Reserve Historical Society
Funeral Homes and Funeral Practices