BURROWS GEORGE HOWARD (25 Aug. 1893-11 Aug. 1970) was an architect who designed nearly 1,000 homes in SHAKER HEIGHTS, CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, and other eastern suburbs in various sizes and styles, and also designed numerous commercial structures.
Born in Cleveland to George Humphrey and Ida (Folliette) Burrows, George graduated from the University of Michigan School of Architecture (1920), then taught high school in Cleveland (1920-1921).
Burrows started his architectural practice in 1922. His partners included Chester Lowe (1923), Philo Brooke (1923-1929) and Urban Schwerzler (1928-1942). Brooke and Burrows designed numerous homes in the Van Sweringen (see VAN SWERINGEN, OTIS and MANTIS) tradition. These were finely detailed, two-family homes designed to resemble single family residences.
Burrows was senior partner and principal designer in the firm of Burrows, Hinman, and Gabriel (1950-1958), which became George Howard Burrows & Charles Hinman Associates.
Burrows' commercial structures included numerous buildings on the south side of Chagrin Blvd. between Lee and Avalon. He received a patent on a split-level apartment design, examples of which remain on Van Aken Boulevard between South Woodland and Drexmor.
Burrows belonged to the University Club of the American Institute of Architects and the Ohio Society of Architects.
George and Irene L. Burrows were married in 1917 (divorced, 1928). They had a daughter, Lenore. Burrows married Phoebe Brooke Wolfe on 3 Aug. 1928. They had two daughters, Phoebe Tritton (stepdaughter), and Mrs. Clay Murray. Burrows was cremated.