CASTLE, WILLIAM BAINBRIDGE (30 Nov. 1814-28 Feb. 1872), a businessman and mayor, was born in Essex, Vt., moved to Toronto in 1815, and settled in Cleveland in 1827 (one source indicates 1832). Later that year, Castle, his father, and Chas. Giddings opened Cleveland's first lumberyard. Upon his father's death (either 1829 or 1832), Castle returned to Ontario, moving to Ohio City in 1839 and in 1840 forming the hardware partnership of Castle & Field. Castle joined the CUYAHOGA STEAM FURNACE CO. as an accountant in 1843, became manager in 1859, and was with the company until his death.
For many years, Castle was a member of the Ohio City Common Council and was mayor in 1853-54, when he helped write the 1854 agreement merging Ohio City into Cleveland. Upon consolidation, Castle resigned as mayor, but was elected in 1855 as mayor of Cleveland, when he directed cutting a shorter channel between Lake Erie and the Cuyahoga, opening the river to larger ships; and building a suitable harbor on the lakefront. He promoted and became a trustee of the city's waterworks, which began in 1856. Castle was defeated for reelection in 1857.
Castle was a director of the finance boards of the Peoples Gas & Light Co., the Citizens' Savings & Loan Co., and various railroads. Castle married twice. In 1836, he married Mary Derby who died a year later. In 1840, he married Mary Newell; the Castles had 1 son and 3 daughters.