The CHAGRIN VALLEY COUNTRY CLUB, 4700 SOM Ctr. Rd., MORELAND HILLS, is a private, invitational organization. On 5 Apr. 1921, the Chagrin Valley Country Club Co. opened a 9-hole golf course built on part of the Mapes farm located east of SOM Ctr. Rd. Under the leadership of Harry D. Sims, the Chagrin Valley Country Club Co. was reorganized and incorporated on 27 Jan. 1925. A land contract was drawn up with the Mapes family in July 1925 that covered the purchase of 23 acres on the west side of SOM Ctr. and 79 acres on the east side. By 1927 9 holes had been constructed on the east side, and the "back 9" holes had been built on the west side. Subsequently, it was decided to expand the west side to 18 holes, selling the east side parcel to what later became Moreland Hills Golf Course. Stanley Thompson, a noted golf course architect from Toronto, designed the course, often described as "one of the most difficult in Northeast Ohio." In 1944 a new corporation, the Chagrin Valley Country Club Land Co., was formed and guided the further development of the club. Geo. Chalmers served the club as golf professional, golf instructor, and greens superintendent from 1921. A Colonial-style clubhouse, constructed in 1928 on the highest point of the 200-acre club, commands a 20-mi. view of the Chagrin Valley and is the site of many social events throughout the year.