The CHESHIRE CHEESE CLUB OF CLEVELAND, 3443 Euclid Ave., an invitational club of men, meets weekly to hear guest speakers, review books, and discuss "the topics of the day." The club began in 1917, when a group of businessmen who were meeting informally for luncheon at Chandler & Rudd (next to the MAY CO. on PUBLIC SQUARE) were invited by the manager, Harry D. Sims, to use a specially reserved table for their daily "book review" meetings. Thos. W. Larwood, Wm. A. Matthews, and Chas. L. Schwartz, founders, assisted by Sims and Harry D. Baker, patterned the club somewhat loosely on the original Cheshire Cheese Club of Fleet St. in London--made famous by Samuel Johnson and Jas. Boswell (1737). Through the years there has been a reciprocal relationship between the clubs in London and in Cleveland, resulting in an exchange of printed programs, occasional gifts, and personal visits of members to the club in London. The Cleveland club has met in a variety of locations, including the Public Square setting, the Nanking Restaurant (1930s), the Colonial Hotel (1940s), Stouffers (Playhouse Square--1950s), the Hanna Bldg. Pub (until 1983), KIEFER'S RESTAURANT (1985-90) and the Al Koran Mosque (1990-95). Unencumbered by constitution, by-laws, or any organized structure, the club's main focus has been "good fellowship." In 1995 the club still hosted weekly luncheon speakers on topics literary or otherwise.
Herrick, Clay. Brief History of the Cheshire Cheese Club (ca. 1983).