The CLEVELAND COUNCIL ON WORLD AFFAIRS is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with a membership of about 1,000 in 1995 that seeks to educate the public in foreign affairs. The council's origin dates from 11 Nov. 1919 when the newly formed LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS organized a discussion group to provide leaders and speakers in the cause of international cooperation. In 1921 a group of women's clubs founded the Council for the Prevention of War, which became the Council for the Promotion of Peace in 1923. The groups merged with business and professional leaders to organize the Intl. Affairs Committee in 1929, which evolved into the Foreign Affairs Council 4 years later. In 1943 it incorporated as the Cleveland Council on World Affairs, and under BROOKS EMENY, director and president 1935-47, it achieved national recognition. In 1947 the council, in conjunction with TIME magazine cosponsored an Institute on World Affairs, which served as a precursor of the Marshall Plan and the 1949 Atlantic Alliance. It was Emeny's philosophy that the ideal of democracy is an informed public opinion, and pursued this by creating an adult education program on world affairs, holding meetings 4 or 5 times a year.
In 1995 the council continued to offer lectures and panel discussions with world-affairs experts, discussion groups, international tours, special programs for secondary-school students and teachers, and hosting foreign students and visitors. Funding is obtained through membership, contributions, and tourist and investment income.
Emeny, Brooks. A History of the Founding of the Cleveland Council on World Affairs, 1935-1948 (1975).