The CLEVELAND INSTITUTE OF MUSIC is a nationally recognized conservatory, which was founded in 1920 by a group of supporters led by Martha Bell (Mrs. Franklyn B.) Sanders and Mary Hutchens (Mrs. Joseph T.) Smith. Classes were first held in the Statler Hotel and then moved to the Hall residence at E. 31st St. and Euclid Ave. ERNEST BLOCH, a Swiss composer and teacher, was appointed director. The institute moved from the Hall residence to the Chisholm home at E. 28th and Euclid in 1923, then to the Samuel Mather home at E. 26th and Euclid in 1932, and the Cox home at 34th and Euclid in 1941. In 1961 a new International-style building was constructed at East Blvd. and Hazel Dr. in UNIV. CIRCLE, with two concert halls, greatly expanded classrooms, studio and practice space, and a library and offices. Bloch's successors as artistic director have been BERYL RUBINSTEIN (1932-52), Ward Davenny (1954-61), VICTOR BABIN (1961-72), Grant Johannesen (1974-85), and David Cerone (1985- ). Among the faculty have been Roger Sessions, Quincy Porter, HERBERT ELWELL, MARCEL DICK, and Donald Erb (composition); Louis Persinger, Donald Weilerstein, and Raphael Druian (violin); ARTHUR LOESSER and Eunice Podis (piano); Marie Simmelink Kraft and Eleanor Steber (voice); and Boris Goldovsky (opera).
The institute operates 2 divisions: the collegiate conservatory, offering bachelor's and master's degrees, professional studies, artist diploma, and doctor of musical arts degrees (since 1952, in cooperation with CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIV.), and the preparatory department for younger students and adults. Branches of the preparatory department operated in FAIRVIEW PARK, ORANGE, and SHAKER HTS. Early in the development of the institute, Ernest Bloch began the teaching of Dalcroze Eurhythmics, a method of musical and movement instruction still taught to conservatory students and children in the preparatory department. Opera has been an important department as well, and the piano, voice, and composition departments have been particularly recognized. The institute is recognized for its teaching of the Suzuki method through its Sato Center for Suzuki Studies. Highly trained and successful players in most instruments are products of the institute. A long and close relationship with the CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA has provided many orchestra members for the faculty of CIM. A cooperative program in music education was begun with CWRU in 1968 to train music educators. By 1995 the Cleveland Institute of Music's enrollment had grown from the initial 5 students in 1920 to a student body of 325 collegiate, 1,600 preparatory, and 400 adult continuing education students, with a faculty of over 170. CIM celebrated its 75th Anniversary from April 1995 through April 1996 with special concerts and activities.
Witchey, Holly Rarick. Fine Arts in Cleveland: An Illustrated History (1994).