The CLEVELAND INSURANCE CO. was an early banking and insurance company that was organized in 1830 and forced out of business as a result of the great Chicago Fire of 1871. Although the company received a perpetual charter in 1830 to operate as both an insurance and banking business, it functioned solely as an insurance business under the guidance of Edmund Clark and Seth W. Crittenden until 1861. At that time it appeared to be operating a banking business as S. W. Crittenden & Co. The Cleveland Insurance Co. name reappeared in the city directories in 1868 and between 1866-71 active company officers included HENRY B. PAYNE, Ralph P. Myers, and Richard R. Lyon.
View image in Digital Cleveland Starts Here®