The CLEVELAND SOCIETY OF ARTISTS was founded in Mar. 1913 by GEO. ADOMEIT and Chas. Shackelton to provide a means of communication between artists, art lovers, and practitioners in the applied arts and crafts. The group carried on the traditions of 2 earlier Cleveland art groups, the ART CLUB, founded in 1876 by ARCHIBALD M. WILLARD, and the Cleveland Arts Club, founded in 1889. The society met at several locations during its 70-year existence, including members' houses, the HOLLENDEN HOTEL, the GAGE GALLERIES, Wm. Edmondson's Studio, and in 1920 in its own clubrooms on Prospect Ave. In 1938 John Kelly, an authority on early American architecture, designed a 2-story brick gallery for the society that was constructed at 2022 E. 88th St. One of the primary yearly activities of the society was an auction held for the purpose of establishing a Cleveland School of Art scholarship. In addition, in 1930 the society started a collection of works by Cleveland artists, selecting as the first piece FREDERICK C. GOTTWALD's The Dreamer, which had won the Penton medal at the 1919 MAY SHOW. Under the leadership of Lawrence E. Blazey, elected president in 1945, the group was particularly successful in attempts to encourage local area talent. SILHOUETTE, the group's monthly newsletter, was published for its membership from 1925-51. The Society continued until it was disbanded in Sept. 1983.
View image in Digital Cleveland Starts Here®
Finding aid for the Cleveland Society of Artists Records. WRHS.