The CLEVELAND SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA was a short-lived effort to establish a permanent orchestra in Cleveland at the turn of the century. The orchestra premiered in Jan. 1900, having been created by JOHANN BECK out of the remnants of the Philharmonic Orchestra. Beck's new ensemble had the same purpose as its predecessor: to be representative of numerous nationalities within its personnel and to perform orchestral works. The orchestra also strove to interest children in classical music. By 1901 the orchestra ran out of money and for all intents was dissolved. It was revived in 1902, however, by CONRAD MIZER, with support from Clevelanders such as NEWTON D. BAKER, Albert Gehring, Eugene R. Grasselli, Harrison Graves, ARCHIBALD KLUMPH, and John Jennings. These individuals also handled the orchestra's business arrangements. After the death of Mizer in 1904, the ensemble continued to at least 1913.
Grossman, F. Karl. A History of Music in Cleveland (1972).