The CLEVELAND WRITERS' CLUB was founded in 1886 as the Cleveland Woman's Press Club by 10 writers who felt the need for cooperation and association. It was the first of its kind in Ohio. Two prominent presswomen, Harriet Ellen Grannis Arey and Gertrude Van Rensselaer Wickham, helped to found the Cleveland club, Arey serving as its first president. Several of the other early presidents were Catherine H. T. (Mrs. Elroy McKendree) Avery, Sarah E. Bierce, LINDA T. GUILFORD, Lizzie Hyer Neff, and Adele E. Thompson. When a similar club was founded in Cincinnati in 1888, the two organizations united to form the Ohio Women's Press Assn. Following the withdrawal of the Cincinnati branch, in 1912 the name was changed again to the Cleveland Woman's Press Club. The club became affiliated with the Cleveland Fed. of Women's Clubs in 1916 and with the Ohio Fed. of Women's Clubs in 1919. In May 1922 a new constitution was adopted, and the organization became the Cleveland Writers' Club. Made up of professional women writers in the Greater Cleveland area, its purpose was to bring members together to encourage writing and publication, offer criticism and advice, exchange experiences, and study literary models. In addition to regular business meetings, the club presented lectures and public readings intended to educate and entertain. It also sponsored an annual writing contest and a monthly newsletter, Write Face, to keep members informed of club news and activities. The club remained active into the 1970s.
Cleveland Writers' Club Records, WRHS.