DALL, ANDREW JR. (30 Mar. 1850-4 Feb. 1923) was a building contractor who, with his father, ANDREW DALL SR. (1821-1887), formed ANDREW DALL & SON, prominent building contractors during late 19th-and early 20th-century Cleveland.
Born in Markinch, Scotland to Elizabeth (Davidson) and ANDREW DALL SR., Andrew Jr. came to America with his family in 1852. He attended Cleveland public schools and studied the building trade under his father.
In 1874 he and his father formed Andrew Dall & Son. By 1875 they were well established as a contracting and building firm, having built the Randall Wade and Backus houses on EUCLID AVENUE. They also built the EUCLID AVENUE OPERA HOUSE (1875), St. Paul's Episcopal Church (1876), Adelbert College (1881), and the Wilshire Building (1881). Other Euclid Avenue mansions the firm erected were those of SYLVESTER T. EVERETT, Samuel Andrews, CHARLES BRUSH, and CHARLES BINGHAM.
When his father died, Dall Jr. worked independently until, in 1888, Dall formed a partnership with Arthur McAllister to establish the firm of McAllister & Dall. This firm was responsible for erecting the BRATENAHL residence of Samuel Mather, the SOLDIERS & SAILORS MONUMENT (1894), and the SOCIETY FOR SAVINGS BUILDING (1889-90), in PUBLIC SQUARE.
In 1899 the firm became Andrew Dall & Son as Dall formed a partnership with his son William. The firm was responsible for building the UNION CLUB (1905), the CUYAHOGA COUNTY COURTHOUSE (1912), and other buildings throughout Ohio. In 1913 the firm was dissolved.
Dall married Alice Bennett in 1873. They had six children, Emma, William, Elizabeth, John, Joseph and Irene. Dall is buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.