The DIEBOLT BREWING CO. was a small, family-run brewery of obscure history located on Pittsburgh Ave. at the corner of Jackson (E. 27th) St. It began in 1888 as Diebolt & Uehlin, a partnership of Anthony J. Diebolt and August Uehlin. A year later, Edward A. Ruble succeeded Uehlin, but from 1892 until it closed, the firm was known as the Diebolt Brewing Co. Anthony Diebolt was secretary and treasurer. When the brewery closed in 1928 to make way for the Union Terminal development, all three company officers entered the real estate business, forming the Diebolt Co., with offices in the Keith Bldg. The 3-story red-brick stable that once housed the brewery's beerwagon horses was still standing in 1980, when it was photographed for the Historic American Engineering Record of the Natl. Park Service and then torn down for construction of a new main post office.