DR. MARTIN LUTHER EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH, LCA was founded by Slovak (see SLOVAKS) immigrants on the near west side in 1910. Pastored from 1929-58 by Rev. Martin Benko, president of the Slovak Zion Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America, the church at 2139 W. 14th St. was an area landmark until it was razed to make way for the Innerbelt. In 1958 the church relocated to 4470 Ridge Rd. In 1995, when the church celebrated its 85th anniversary, John Klein served as pastor to the 100-member congregation. The church retained its custom of holding services in English and Slovak.