EDGEWATER PARK, located along Lake Erie at the west end of MEMORIAL SHOREWAY (at W. 58th St.), was purchased in 1894 by the city's Second Park Board from Jacob B. Perkins, Cleveland industrialist. The land, consisting of 2 parcels, became Perkins Beach and Edgewater Park. Many recreational facilities were subsequently provided, including bath houses, a pavilion, baseball diamonds, and numerous picnic and playground areas. The eastern half of Edgewater Park at the lower level contained additional athletic fields, the Edgewater Yacht Club, and the Edgewater Lagoon. Clevelanders used this park for many years, until much of it was destroyed by construction of the Shoreway and it fell into disrepair in the 1960s. In 1978 Edgewater Park became part of the CLEVELAND LAKEFRONT STATE PARK, and since that time many of the park's recreational facilities have been restored, including offshore fishing platforms, a 900' bathing beach (one of the largest in Cleveland), a renovated pavilion, picnic areas, a boat-launching ramp, the Edgewater Yacht Club, and the Edgewater Marina.