The EUCLID CLUB, the second club in Cleveland devoted solely to golf, opened 4 July 1900 on property in the Euclid Hts. area, extending east from the crest of Cedar Hill. Wilson B. Chisholm was its first president. A 9-hole course was laid out between Euclid Hts. Blvd. and Cedar Rd. by W. H. (Bertie) Way, who also served as the resident golf professional, and later an additional 9 holes were completed on adjacent property south of Cedar Rd. Club bylaws established a limit of 500 members, and each candidate had to be proposed by two members who knew him personally. The entrance fee was $50, and annual dues of $60 paid by resident members. The golf club's presence enhanced the Euclid Hts. area, spurring the construction of fine residences in the adjacent neighborhoods. The Western Open Golf Championship was played at the Euclid Club in Sept. 1902, and in July 1907 it hosted the first National Amateur Golf Championship held in Cleveland. The golf club thrived until 1908 when some members withdrew to organize the MAYFIELD COUNTRY CLUB in Euclid Twp. During 1912 the membership declined from 415 to 310, and the club lost $10,700. The Euclid Club's last social affair was a formal ball held 21 Nov. 1914.