EVERETT, MORRIS SR. (14 Feb. 1910-20 March 1993) was recognized as the dean of area investment counselors, served three terms as mayor of Hunting Valley, and was a trustee of numerous organizations.
Born in Cleveland, Everett attended HAWKEN SCHOOL, graduated from Kent School (Lakeville, CT) in 1929, and received his A.B. from Yale University in 1933. He then worked for Republic Steel in Cleveland, 1933-1936; Murray Ohio Manufacturing Co., 1936-1940; and Pan American Air Ferries in New York, 1940-1942. During WORLD WAR II Everett served as an Air Force Major.
In 1946 Everett became office manager in the investment management firm of Scudder, Stevens & Clark. He opened the firm's Cleveland office and became a general partner in 1967. When he retired from the firm in 1975 he was national vice president.
Everett was treasurer of the John Huntington Fund For Education from 1975-1992, providing scholarship funding to area colleges, and was a trustee of the fund at his death.
Everett first entered politics prior to WWII as treasurer of Hunting Valley. After the war he served as village councilman until he was elected to the first of three consecutive terms as mayor in 1957.
Everett was a national expert on Confederate philatelic history, gathering one of the largest and finest collections of Confederate covers in the world. He was an honorary trustee of the WESTERN RESERVE HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
Everett married Eleanor Egan in 1934. They had three children: Chandler, Morris Jr., and Mrs. Anne Kucklick. An Episcopalian, Everett is buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.