The 1525 FOUNDATION, sister fund to the Second Foundation, was incorporated in Cleveland in 1971 by KENT HALE SMITH. The foundation emphasizes higher education, environment and conservation, and institutions supported by the founder in his lifetime. It especially favors agencies which promote self-help by recipients. 1525 grants locally, giving special support to CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIV. (CWRU), and other UNIV. CIRCLE institutions. In 1989 the fund provided the largest single gift in CWRU's history, $15 million for the Kent Hale Smith Science and Engineering Bldg. Assets of the 1525 foundation in 1993 were over $8.45 million, with expenditures of over $3.09 million for 37 grants ranging generally between $500 and $1.6 million. Hubert H. Schneider was the foundation's president; offices were located at 1525 National City Bank Bldg.