FRITZSCHE, ALFRED (21 May 1869-18 Jan. 1944) industrialist and leader in Catholic charitable organizations, was born in Cleveland, the son of Alfred and Carolyne (Snyder) Fritzsche. Educated in Cleveland public schools, he went to work at age 12 as a typesetter for the Penny Press, forerunner of the CLEVELAND PRESS. Fritzsche was associated with the Grinnell Co., as vice president and general manager and later in the same positions with "Automatic" Sprinkler organized in 1910 to manufacture equipment for fire control. He also was president of the Twin High Transmission Co.
Fritzsche was a member of the first CATHOLIC CHARITIES COPRORATION's Board of Trustees when it was founded in April 1919 and served in tht capacity until he died in 1944. He was board president in 1935. Fritzsche was especially concerned for the needs of children, particularly those who were handicapped or orphaned, and was active in securing funds for them as a Trustee of the Rose-Mary Home (see ROSE-MARY CENTER), Parmadale Children's Village (see PARMADALE FAMILY SERVICES), and the CATHERINE HORSTMANN HOME.
Fritzsche married Clara Neracher 6 June 1894, and they had four sons: Allan, Alfred, Jr., Paul, and William. A resident of SHAKER HTS., he died in New York City and was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.