The GEORGE W. CODRINGTON CHARITABLE FOUNDATION was founded in Cleveland in 1955 by Geo. W. Codrington. Annual grants support "public charitable or educational projects" in the Cuyahoga County area (no individuals), emphasizing HIGHER EDUCATION, health care, youth services, and culture. FAIRVIEW GENERAL HOSPITAL, UNITED WAY SERVICES, and CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIV. have all received major grants. In 1994 the foundation's assets were over $12.1 million, with $508,000 disbursed in grants ranging from $1,000 to $7,000. The office of the Supervisory Board was located at 1100 National City Bank Bldg.; board chair in 1994 was Raymond T. Sawyer, who succeeded Earl P. Schneider, chair from 1955 until his death in 1989.