GETZ, HESTER ADELIA (23 March 1869-4 June 1948), who began her lifelong work as a florist as a child, opened a shop on EUCLID AVENUE and Huntington Street with Anna Westman (d. ca. 1911) about 1902. She continued to run Westman & Getz, Florists, until retiring in 1941. Getz was born in Columbus, OH, the youngest of the 4 children of Israel S. and Margaret Shaffer Getz. She attended public schools there and began making bouquets and selling them to passers-by near state government buildings; she claimed to have had William McKinley (later U.S. President) as a customer. Getz, who owned her own store in Columbus by age 18, came to Cleveland in 1900. Five years after opening their shop, Getz and Westman, in debt and struggling with prejudice against WOMEN in business (see BUSINESS, RETAIL) moved to 5923 Euclid Avenue. (Due to their gender, they reportedly had to pay twice the normal security deposit.) The business (which at first served only women) thrived at the new location. Westman & Getz introduced Sunday closings in the floral business and sold pottery and glassware in addition to flowers. Getz chaired the Retail Florists' Exhibition at least 3 times. A member of the advisory council of the CITIZENS' LEAGUE, she also served on the board of directors, and as vice-president (1930) and treasurer (1931) of the WOMEN'S CITY CLUB, of which she was a charter member. In her leisure time, Getz, a single woman who resided on Cleveland's east side, pursued travel and photography. She died in Coral Gables, FL, where she moved after retirement.