GILMOUR ACADEMY, located at SOM Ctr. and Cedar roads in GATES MILLS, was founded in 1946 by the Brothers of the Holy Cross. The inspiration for its founding came from Bp. EDWARD HOBAN, who had been educated by the brothers. Within a few months, the brothers had purchased the estate, and Br. Theophane was appointed headmaster. Gilmour Academy was designed as both a boarding school and a day school to educate the sons of affluent Catholics in the Cleveland area. In 1995 the 450 acre campus included 10 separate academic or administrative buildings and a new chapel.
In its relatively short history, Gilmour has experienced a number of changes, all a reflection of its growth. Perhaps the most significant development was the 1982 merger with GLEN OAK SCHOOL, which had been founded as an all-girls' school in 1969 on a campus adjoining Gilmour. From an original student body of 35 males, enrollment grew to 230 by 1966, and nearly 30 years later was 621 for grades Montessori preschool through 12. The school was expanded to include the Baxter Middle School (grades 7-8) in 1970, and a Montessori preschool was added in 1985. Elementary grades were added at the rate of 1 per year, until Gilmour was able to offer education from preschool to grade 12. Most of Gilmour's students come from Cleveland's eastern suburbs, although there are young men and women from other states and countries who take advantage of the 5- and 7-day boarding program Gilmour offers to students in grades 7 through 12. A substantial financial assistance program has secured a heterogeneous socio-economic student body.