GILMOUR, RICHARD (24 Sept. 1824-13 Apr. 1891), second bishop of Cleveland, was born in Dumbarton, Scotland, to John and Marian Gilmour. His family emigrated to Nova Scotia, then to Pennsylvania, when he was a child. Gilmour, of Scotch-Presbyterian background, decided in 1842 to convert to Catholicism and study for the priesthood, completing his studies at Mt. St. Mary Seminary in Emmitsburg, Md. He was ordained on 30 Aug. 1852 and named pastor of St. Mary in Portsmouth, Ohio. In 1857 he was assigned to St. Patrick Church in Cincinnati, starting a model school. Gilmour translated a popular Bible history, winning papal commendation, and authored readers used in Catholic schools. From 1868-69 he was a seminary professor before being transferred to St. Joseph Church in Dayton. Gilmour was consecrated bishop of Cleveland on 14 Apr. 1872.
Gilmour defended Catholics' rights against prejudice, founding and subsidizing the Catholic Universe newspaper in 1874. He also defended PAROCHIAL SCHOOLS when in 1877 the Cuyahoga County auditor declared them taxable and demanded the buildings be sold at auction, resulting in a bitter though successful 6-year court battle. Gilmour endorsed church schools and established a school board to maintain uniformity and high standards. He expanded services to the poor and sick, with St. Ann's Asylum & Maternity Home, ST. ALEXIS HOSPITAL, and ST. JOHN HOSPITAL founded with his support. Nationally Gilmour served as an expert on the legal aspects of church property. He traveled to Florida to recuperate from deteriorating health in Mar. 1891, dying in St. Augustine in April.