GLASS, MYRON E. (1 Aug. 1900-16 Dec. 1987) businessman and leader in the Jewish community, was born in Manchester, England, the son of Nathan and Etta Mendelsohn Glass who came to Cleveland in 1906. He attended public schools and CLEVELAND MARSHALL LAW SCHOOL. In 1927 Glass incorporated the Texas Distributing Co. with capital of $50,000. He and his partners, Milton and David Myers, established the company offices at 6504 Union Ave., from which it operated a number of gas stations throughout the Cleveland area. At one time Glass also was manager of the Ohio Division of Texaco Inc. After retiring in 1946, he organized the Texby Co., a real estate investment firm. Noted for his leadership in raising money for construction projects, Glass headed Mount Sinai Hospital's (see MOUNT SINAI MEDICAL CENTER) successful fundraising drive to build a new 12-story addition while serving as president of its Board of Trustees 1952-59. He also was a leader in raising money for building PARK SYNAGOGUE, and Glass Auditorium was named in his honor. During his presidency of the JEWISH COMMUNITY FEDERATION 1962-64 construction began on the Federation's new headquarters building at E. 18th and Euclid Ave. He received their Charles Eisenman award in 1965 for leadership in the health, welfare, and religious life of the community.
Glass and his wife, Rose, were married in 1926, and they had a son, Herbert. A resident of BRATENAHL and Palm Springs, California, he died at his California home and was buried at Park Cemetery in Cleveland.