The GLOBE THEATER was one of the first theaters in the city of Cleveland. Built by J. W. Watson in 1840, it was located on the 2nd floor of a business building on the north side of Superior Ave., approximately midway between Bank (W. 6th) St. and Seneca (W. 3rd) St. The theater was 60' wide by 100' long and approximately 25' high. The Globe had good acoustics and seated nearly 1,000, but the shallow stage measured 40' wide by 15' deep. Although quite handsome, it was redecorated frequently because of changes in ownership and name. Over the years the facility was known as Watson's Hall (1840-45), Melodeon Hall (1845-60), Brainard's Hall (1860-72), Brainard's Opera House (1872-75), and the Globe Theater (from 1875 until its demolition in 1880). Among the many interesting attractions held at the theater, Ralph Waldo Emerson lectured on 10 Jan. 1847 on the "Man of the World" and Louis Kossuth, the orator and eminent Hungarian patriot, spoke on 2 Feb. 1852. The Great Royal Japanese Troupe from the Imperial Theater of Yeddo appeared on 28 Feb. 1873. The last performance, Uncle Tom's Cabin, was held on 29 Jan. 1880.