The GOLD STAR MOTHERS organization was established for women who had sons or daughters killed in service of the U.S. The organization's goal was to "relieve sorrow by sharing it," as well as to help disabled vets and work for peace. Members of the group also participated in many patriotic events.
Members in the Greater Cleveland area originally belonged to the national organization, which was founded in 1928. A bronze tablet honoring Gold Star Mothers was placed on the southwest quadrant of Public Square by the Veterans of Foreign Wars and unveiled at a ceremony on 11 Nov. 1934 (Armistice Day).
The local organization, Gold Star Mothers, Cuyahoga County Chapter, received its charter in April 1944. Two years after being chartered, the local chapter had 150 members. By 1957 there were three chapters operating in the Greater Cleveland area, including Gold Star Mothers of Ohio and Kentucky. In total, there were locally 300 active members at this time. Cleveland hosted a Gold Star Mothers national convention in 1957 and a regional one in 1966. Membership levels in the county stood at 105 in 1973 and apparently dwindled thereafter. As of 1994, the local chapters no longer existed. The national organization was still in existence and had an office in Washington, D.C.