GORDON, HELEN (20 Oct.1906-4 Dec. 1989), award-winning business leader, operated Helen Gordon Advertising (1947-82) in the ARCADE, among the first WOMEN to open such an agency in Cleveland. She was also a painter and volunteered for welfare organizations. Gordon was born in Pittsburgh, PA, to David and Catherine Martin Gordon, and graduated from the Pennsylvania College for Women (later Chatham College). Before opening her own agency, Gordon managed advertising for Stearns Co. and served as executive vice president of Fran Murray, Inc., both in Cleveland. She presided over the Women's Advertising Club of Cleveland (1948-52) and penned scripts for its Gridiron Shows. Gordon received the Erma Proetz award for radio copy written by a woman and was selected as Cleveland's Advertising Woman of the Year (1950s).
A single woman, Gordon volunteered for a variety of organizations, including the YOUNG WOMEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION (YWCA), the Welfare Federation, the Central Volunteer Bureau, and the CITIZENS' LEAGUE. She belonged to the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART, the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY, and the WOMEN'S CITY CLUB. For the last 5 years of her life, Gordon lived at the LUTHERAN HOME in WESTLAKE. She is buried in North Braddock, PA.