GREEN ROAD SYNAGOGUE, one of Cleveland's largest Orthodox Jewish congregations, traces its origins to a few immigrants from Marmaresh Sziget, Hungary, who established the Marmaresh B'nai Jacob Society in the Woodland neighborhood in 1910. That year, members of this self-help society held religious services in a rented room at E. 26th St. and Woodland Ave. In 1911 they purchased a building at E. 25th St. near Woodland. The congregation moved to a rented building at E. 30th St. and Scovill in 1920. In May 1922 the small congregation incorporated as the First Marmaresher B'nai Jacob Congregation. That year it also purchased a brick building in
The Woodland branch of the congregation moved to E. 61st St. and Woodland Ave. in 1922 and remained there until 1932, when it sold the property and joined the Glenville branch. The congregation changed its name to Anshe Marmaresher Congregation in 1937 but was popularly known as the Marmaresher Jewish Center. Following the move of Jews to the
Green Rd. Synagogue Records, WRHS.