GRIES, LUCILE DAUBY (19 Dec.1902-5 March 1968) was a civic and social leader and philanthropist who, in 1968, founded the LUCILE DAUBY GRIES AND ROBERT HAYS GRIES CHARITY FUND which gives primarily to local charities. She was also an avid collector of Oriental porcelain.
Born in Cleveland to Bessie (Beaumont) and NATHAN L. DAUBY, MAY CO. executive, Lucile graduated from Cleveland public schools, then attended Smith College for two years.
Lucile returned to Cleveland and became active on city boards. Among her many philanthropic activities were membership on the board of trustees of the Cleveland Speech and Hearing Center, her special interest, and the LOUIS D. BEAUMONT FOUNDATION which was named for her uncle. She was also on the board of directors of MOUNT SINAI HOSPITAL (1954-1964).
Lucile served as vice-president, director and original board member of HILL HOUSE (1960s until her death) and was a board member of the Cleveland Mental Health Association.
Lucile belonged to the OAKWOOD CLUB, was a patron of the CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA and the Metropolitan Opera Company and owned an important minority share in the CLEVELAND BROWNS through her husband who had helped found the club.
Lucile and her husband collected Oriental export porcelain, boasting the second largest collection in America. Part of the collection was donated to the WESTERN RESERVE HISTORICAL SOCIETY and the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART.
Lucile married ROBERT HAYS GRIES on 30 June 1924. They had four children, Tom, Robert D., Betty (Dorn), and Ellen (Cole). Lucile is inurned in the Hays Mausoleum in Mayfield Cemetery.
Gries Family Papers, WRHS.