GRUBER'S RESTAURANT was a popular fixture in Greater Cleveland for almost 60 years. It was founded in 1907 by Max Gruber, Sr. During its first years, the restaurant moved frequently. It was originally located at Columbus Rd. and Willey Ave. in the
In 1912 Gruber moved downtown to the Columbia Building at 102 Prospect Ave. (later the home of
In 1960 the Gruber brothers decided to retire, selling the restaurant and its name to the Fred Harvey chain. Harvey's operated the facility until 1964, when it was bought by Eddie and Bernard Goldfard and John Raleigh. By then, however, without the Grubers' imprint on its service, loyal customers had been lost and its overall popularity waned. Band music was introduced in 1965 to attract new customers, but business continued to dwindle. The restaurant closed in 1967.
View more on Cleveland Historical