The HADDEN FOUNDATION (1957-1993) was established by JOHN ALEXANDER HADDEN. The community foundation contributed primarily to local pre-selected organizations which provided health care, social services, child development, and cultural programs. Recipients of Hadden Foundation grants included UNIV. HOSPITALS and the medical and law schools of CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIV. (CWRU), as well as UNITED WAY SERVICES, LAUREL SCHOOL, HAWKEN SCHOOL, the WESTERN RESERVE HISTORICAL SOCIETY, and the BENJAMIN ROSE INSTITUTE. In 1991, with assets of over $1.9 million, the foundation spent $80,500 for 21 grants between $500 and $15,000. In 1993 the Hadden Foundation was dissolved and its assets given to Univ. Hospitals and CWRU.
See also PHILANTHROPY and FOUNDATIONS.