HALLE, SALMON PORTLAND (6 Aug. 1866-13 Sept. 1949), with his brother Samuel Horatio Halle, founded the HALLE BROTHERS COMPANY department store. In 1945 he received the Charles Eisenman Award from the Jewish Welfare Federation for his PHILANTHROPY. Halle was born in Cleveland to Rebecca (Weil) and Moses Halle and educated in public schools. While president of Halle Brothers, he served as director of the Mutual Building & Loan Co. and the Service Recorder Co.
After Halle retired in 1921 from Halle Brothers, he maintained an office in the Hanna Building for his extensive philanthropic work. He was an early member of the CLEVELAND ADVERTISING CLUB and helped found the Community Fund, the CLEVELAND HOSPITAL SERVICE ASSOCIATION, and the Jewish Welfare Federation (see JEWISH COMMUNITY FEDERATION), serving the latter as trustee for 22 years. In other Jewish causes, he was a leader in the American-Jewish Joint Distribution Committee for overseas relief. Halle contributed between $150,000 and $200,000 to MT. SINAI MEDICAL CENTER and served as its vice-president.
On 3 Dec. 1893 Halle married Carrie B. Moss (d.1965); their children were Marion (Mrs. Abraham) Strauss and S. Portland Halle. The family lived in a large French-style villa in SHAKER HEIGHTS, built by JOHN WILLIAM CRESWELL CORBUSIER. Halle travelled extensively and collected ART; he helped found the PRINT CLUB OF CLEVELAND (1920) and donated art works to the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART.