HARVEY, KATE BENEDICT HANNA (26 Dec. 1871-15 May 1936), a philanthropist and member of one of Cleveland's most distinguished families, took a special interest in hospitals and the education of nurses and helped establish the VISITING NURSE ASSOCIATION.
Born in Cleveland to Howard Melville and Kate (Smith) Hanna, Kate attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut, and Miss Heloise E. Hersey's School in Boston. She was the niece of MARCUS HANNA and one of the three largest stockholders in the M.A. HANNA COMPANY.
In 1901 Kate was a founder and original trustee of the Visiting Nurse Association. She also founded and published the Visiting Nurses Quarterly and served on the VNA's first lay advisiory board.
In 1905 Kate helped to establish the Cleveland chapter of the AMERICAN RED CROSS and served on its executive committee. When a disastrous tornado hit Lorain in 1924, she was among the first to rally support for Lorain and assisted in forming the first relief expedition sent from Cleveland.
Among Kate's chief interests were Lakeside and UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF CLEVELAND. She served on Lakeside's Board of Lady Managers (1898-1930), and as a trustee of University Hospitals (1920-1936) and Babies and Children's Hospital. She was also a leader in transforming the Hospital's nursing program into the Western Reserve University (Frances Payne Bolton) School of Nursing, Cleveland's first collegiate nursing school.
Kate married Robert Livingston Ireland on May 2, 1894 (divorced 1922). They had two children, Elizabeth and ROBERT LIVINGSTON IRELAND, JR. Kate married Perry Harvey on 12 Feb. 1923. She is buried in Thomasville, Georgia.